Turns left ok but not right

-

cudajim

cudajim
Reaction score
I have a 67 A-body fish car and had the entire front end all apart a while back. I put it all together with a rebuilt steering box from firm-feel and now it won't turn sharp all the way right. Where do I start looking or what did I do wrong?

Did you get it aligned? The pitman arm not being on the right gear or tie rods would be my first thought...

I did get it aligned and it's only ok. I guess I'll pull off the pitman arm this weekend and try to figure it out.

With the wheels straight ahead, how many turn to full lock right and how many to full lock left?

Count lock to lock turns using the steering wheel, then cut that in half. (If 4 turns total, find center @ 2) From the halfway/center position, your wheels should then be pointing straight ahead and the pitman arm should be pointing straight also. If that is not the case, drop the pitman arm down and center it on the steering box. Your steering wheel center will be off, but your lock to lock should be fixed.

I had the same thing happen years ago and checked it just like 6pk said. ended up adjusted too far one way. I just disconnected the pitman from the centerlink and found the center position lock to lock with the wheel ending up straight. then adjust the tie rod sleeves evenly until the wheels where straight ahead and the steering wheel was straight and you can reinstall the pitman. as long as you turn the adjusters equally the toe setting will still be good.

I can tell you the turns left and right are not the same so I'll check it out tomorrow and let you guys know what I find.

On the pitman arm me thinks there is a machined flat spot so the arm only goes on one way i know on my dart its that way even at the stearing wheel its that way.

So I jacked it up on Saturday and took a look. The sway bar was in the way of the newer style disc brake housing and a bit offset so it was hitting. I fixed it by swapping spindles and putting the brakes toward the rear instead of in front of the axles. It now steers properly and all is ok. I bled the hell out of it too so it even stops better. (I use the wife, she has a sturdy brake bleeding foot; she's good with mixing concrete too!)

Nicely done, I have read that you have to switch your brakes around with some swaybars, it is a great reward to figure out a problem.

-
Back