Twice is nice

-

cuda2ya

Reaction score
Back in the late sixties my dad had a 63 max wedge, he ran mostly at Detroit Dragway. One Sunday he ran off against a vette,I dont rember what size or year it was but I was there and seen this happen. Back then Detroit Dragway ran AHRA and used bracket racing.I dont know for sure if my dad was dialed in at 12.00or 11.00 but he was content to run conservative,not break down and just win a few bucks now and then. but this Sunday it was different . They staged and ran my dad won on a photo finnish. Well the vette raised such a fit that the Manager of the Dragway asked my dad if he would run the vette again, telling my dad that he did not have to run him again if mhe did not want to but if he did He would see it that he would take care of him. So they ran again. This time my dad let the hammer down. As I said he always ran conservative instead of shifting at 6200rpm he shifted at 7200rpm when he hit tyhird he looked up and saw the traps. and locked up all the brakes and slid through the traps and turned either an 12.02or an 11.02 He beat the vette by 3 or 4 car legnths. Although my dad never aknowledged any favors I never saw him pay to run on a regular weekend again. On big meets Idid see him pay though. Before hee sold it we did put bigger tires on it and it would well into the 11.00's so he must have ran the 12 sec bracket. The car wascalled the Wailer.

-
Back