twin turbo bigblock..?

-

mopar_stroker

Reaction score
I have just bought a keith black waterblock. And I´m now thinking of building a twin turbo bigblock. I already got a set of 440-1 heads with jesel rockers, new manley nextek tripple springs, new 2,25" titan intakevalves, new 1.81" inconel exhaustvalves. Also have a 4.25" 4340 crank and a set of new Eagle H-beam rods 7.100". And a brand new DTA injection ECU. I have never built a v8 turbo engine before.

So what do you guys think? I have one set of 4.310 sleeves for the block and another 4.500" set. Should i go for alu rods? better crank? less stroke? looking for 1200-1500hp. E85 or methanol?

I have just bought a keith black waterblock. And I´m now thinking of building a twin turbo bigblock. I already got a set of 440-1 heads with jesel rockers, new manley nextek tripple springs, new 2,25" titan intakevalves, new 1.81" inconel exhaustvalves. Also have a 4.25" 4340 crank and a set of new Eagle H-beam rods 7.100". And a brand new DTA injection ECU. I have never built a v8 turbo engine before.

So what do you guys think? I have one set of 4.310 sleeves for the block and another 4.500" set. Should i go for alu rods? better crank? less stroke? looking for 1200-1500hp. E85 or methanol?

Really don't need to stroke it! Turbo builds all the torque you will need. You will need those heads to flow high numbers on the exhaust side. Custom grind cam with 116 lobe seperation. I am using a stock forged crank and Eagle "H" beam rods and Diamond pistons. The issues you will need to be concerned with is the size of the downpipe. I am using a Borg/Warner S480 80mm turbo which requires a 5" downpipe. My turbo is rated at 1050hp... I assume this is in addition to the 400 plus horsepower of the 411" 400 that I am using.

Go take a look at MadDarts twin turbo build in this forum. Those are the same turbos that are on a 454 Bigblock Chevy in an early Nova running mid 8 second quarters with a mild tune. I think it is in the 1400hp range.

I will recommend going over to Moparts and looking at the posts done by a guy named Feets.

He is a friend of mine who built a TT 440 in a '65 Belvedere (been in a few car mags). He did nearly everything himself so he has the data on what was done. I think his car was only 650-700 RWHP but he was also running lower boost due to a near stock bottom end.

I say "was" because he is dismantling the '65 to sell without the go fast parts, and he plans to build a "proper" engine to put his boost gear on, and install it in his new Imperial.

Really don't need to stroke it! Turbo builds all the torque you will need. You will need those heads to flow high numbers on the exhaust side. Custom grind cam with 116 lobe seperation. I am using a stock forged crank and Eagle "H" beam rods and Diamond pistons. The issues you will need to be concerned with is the size of the downpipe. I am using a Borg/Warner S480 80mm turbo which requires a 5" downpipe. My turbo is rated at 1050hp... I assume this is in addition to the 400 plus horsepower of the 411" 400 that I am using.

Go take a look at MadDarts twin turbo build in this forum. Those are the same turbos that are on a 454 Bigblock Chevy in an early Nova running mid 8 second quarters with a mild tune. I think it is in the 1400hp range.
I used to run a gt45 like that on a BMW 6cyl a couple years ago.. Didn´t have any luck with that turbo, the bearings failed after just a couple houres. Got a holset HX55 mounted instead. But maybe I got a bad Gt45 in the firstplase? And maybe the "china" turbos have got better?

-
Back