Twin turbo

-

charm

Reaction score
I've been lurking planning on what sorts of things I'll be doing to the '74 Dart I'm marrying in to. All I know about the car is that it has a /6, a bench seat, 60k miles, and it's green. I've never actually seen the car.

I'm thinking about going turbo and I've been looking at how folks add the turbo. I'd likely just do low boost turbo with the stock internals.

But what I'm wondering is, with all of the after market headers being split headers, has anybody tried using 2 small turbos on the ends of the split headers? It seems like an interesting idea and would open up junk yard turbo scavenging.

But, I'm pretty new to turbos so I don't know what the other issues might be.

Thoughts?

If you want to know about darts this is the place. The better site for slant six info is slantsix.org. Yes it has been done with twin turbo's, but that is a more complicated setup than is necessary. The first thing I would do to a newly acquired slant dart is inspection, inspection, inspection. First make sure the metal structure of the car is safe and solid. Next would be brakes, tires, and suspension. Engine performance upgrades would come way down the list behind safety upgrades. I would also repair and upgrade the electrical system long before considering adding power. Twin turbos do you no good if you are on the side of the road with no headlights, or your alternator craps out leaving you with a dead battery and needing towed.

What is your mechanical capabilities/experience? Electrical? A 74 dart can be a wonderful car or it can be a real PITA. It all depends on what you ask of the car and what you are willing to do for the car. Remember its 38 years old.

I've rebuilt my fair share of cars. Space to do it is more of premium then know how and tools.

The engine work is my biggest area of unknown. I've built a couple Chevy small blocks and tried to massage a few hp out of a 1978 Datsun 200sx (ugliest car ever built) as a teenager. I have no idea what to do with a /6.

Being family owned, I know the history of the car. I know it's been garage kept except for it's first 10 years or so of life. I know that it has been incredibly reliable and continues to be. There has never been an electrical problem outside of the occasional battery.

My plans are simple, replace the rubber bits in the suspension, lower it an inch or 2, add sway bars, new shocks, and new torsion bars (drop spindles if needed to get the drop I want).

Add stereo system, but keep stock head unit. I'll just run the tunes through my iPhone and my XM radio which I run with my iPhone.

As part of the stereo system work, I'll give the electrical system a good going ever and fix what needs fixing and know that the rest is solid.

I'll then move on to the body. My mother in law to be put a dent in the fender and that's going to need to be fixed. During that process, I'll make sure the rest of the car is rust free. Because of its garaged history, I'm optimistic. But, if it needs rust repair, it'll get it. It'll remain the stock green color simply because my fiance has fond memories of her grandmother driving the green Dodge.

Once that's all done...then I'll get into the engine. By then I hope to have decided whether to play with the 6 or do an engine swap. I'll know more once I actually drive the car and can decide what sort of power improvements I think I need.

So, I agree, the engine should be last on the list...and it is. It's just that I don't know what I want to do with it.

Thanks.

-
Back