Two Belts w/Aftermarket A/C?

-

Ricks70Duster340

Child of the King
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 440 with Vintage Air A/C setup. I bought the VA brackets for the engine and everything is working fine. Biggest issue I have is even though the compressor, alternator, and crank pulley has two grooves the setup only uses one belt. Had a belt squeal after the build that I fixed with a different belt mfr. Thinking the belts will last longer if I can use two, but maybe overthinking. Can't put the second belt on because two of the PS bolt heads are in the way as well as the top bolt attaching the alternator.

Is there a fastener system that would fix this or am I just limited to one belt?

20231201_063110[1].jpg

20231201_063145[1].jpg

I too have Vintage Air and mine is also a 1 belt .
Don't have PS yet . One belt works on mine no squeal, not belt slippage.
Mine runs directly from the crank, compressor is the adjustment.
Second belt will run PS, Alt, water pump when I install PS later.
Alas, mine is a small block but you should not have a problem with 1 belt.

IMG_0004.JPG

Don't know what type of belts you are using but I have had the best luck with NAPA brand belts. I'll worn you they aren't cheap but they are great V belts.

Don't know what type of belts you are using but I have had the best luck with NAPA brand belts. I'll worn you they aren't cheap but they are great V belts.
That's funny, because the ones that squealed were NAPA belts. I put Dayco belts on and no more squeal! Maybe the ones I got had been on the shelf a long time and were a little harder. Dunno.

replace the 2 offending bolts with countersunk allen bolts. obviously the parts they're retaining will need countersinking too but that's easy enough. should solve you're 2nd belt clearance issues. i agree that 2 belts would be better, you won't need as much tension as there's twice the belt contact patch so bearings etc will last longer too.
neil.

I just resolved this situation with my system from Classic Air. I would bet that your brackets came from Bouchilon (mine did - printed right on the biggest bracket). The small block set up is done so that the inside belt of the compressor lines up with the outside groove on the crank and alternator. I talked to Classic and Bouchilon and they both said NO PROBLEM! only needs one belt. After 6000 miles the belts squealed whenever I turn on the AC. Since the compressor is right up against the thermostat housing, you can't move it back to align, so I had to space the alternator out and find a crank pulley that move all the belt grooves forward. For my set up that put the outer belt where the Power steering and water pump pulleys were so they too had to move forward which was accomplished by spacers behind the Power steering brackets at the block (and longer bolts) and finding a shallower water pump pulley to move the groove forward. It all lined up in the end and seems to work as you would expect it to - no squeal.

I have been buying belts from a company called Quanta in Rising Sun, MD. They make restoration belts that don't have all the little divots on the inside and are actually made correctly as all belts were back in the day. I have solved squeal issues on my cars and friends' Mopars using these belts.

Bouchillon AC brackets, factory '69 power steering setup, factory idler/WP pulley. No problem with fitment. The Classic Auto perfect fit box, not so perfect, but I still haven't modified it. Too any other things on my plate right now.

20210417_142100.jpg

20210417_142109.jpg

20210417_142114.jpg

20210417_142121.jpg

I feel your squealing pain. The 273 in my Barracuda with factory cast iron water pump and the wide power steering belt- got ac and nothing lined up. The aftermarket ac parts said alternator, ac and fan off one bracket (single belt) . Squealed every time you romped on the gas or ac engaged.
I ended up reworking the whole thing. Made spacers, cut and welded brackets and now all hums like a charm.
Side note: Napa belts squealed for me too, but once reconfigured- work like a piece of expensive jewelry. And “yes” I pulled the engine out to do this modification. Same time I went to Borgeson power steering box.
Syleng1

IMG_0319.jpeg

IMG_0325.jpeg

replace the 2 offending bolts with countersunk allen bolts. obviously the parts they're retaining will need countersinking too but that's easy enough. should solve you're 2nd belt clearance issues. i agree that 2 belts would be better, you won't need as much tension as there's twice the belt contact patch so bearings etc will last longer too.
neil.
Great idea, but I pleade ignorance on how to do that or where to get bolts like that.

-
Back