Two Different Types of Brake Drums

-

jimmys67

Reaction score
Dear All
I have a 67 Plymouth Valiant Signet. I found out after taking the front tires off, that there two different types of brake drums. The drivers side is a typical drum that goes on over the studs. The passengers side has the type of drum that has the studs on the drum. You have to remove the nut and cotter pin on the spindle. I don't think that it would have been built at the factory this way, so maybe through the years somebody changed one of these spindles. It has the 9" brakes.
I want to replace the drums. My question is, can I find a drum with the studs attached, or are they fairly easy to install. I don't want to get into changing the entire back plate and spindle, and all other necessary parts. It works as it is, but where or how can I get this drum. I'm sure that somebody out there knows. Maybe it's easy. Please help. Thank you.

jimmys67

These drums were swaged on by the studs. If driver side has rh threads someone replaced studs and did`nt bother to swage them, which most people will do.

I have very good used front 9 inch drum and hub assemblies with RH and LH studs PM sent

i have found that there are finned and smooth 9" drums

pics> 9" on the right
was comparing weights

10" = 14 lbs
finned 9" = 12 lbs
smooth 9" = 10.5 lbs

009.jpg

010.jpg

Usually the front drums are tight on the hub. You are supposed to move the hub & drum together to get at the shoes, not like the rears. Not sure why your drum was so loose. It should still be tight on the center register, if not the studs. Finned drums are considered a little better for cooling, and I think came on later cars. More weight gives more braking time before you get fade. I understand the spring is to reduce noise, but probably helps heat transfer too.

-
Back