Two Lane Blacktop Novel

-

CoronetRTguy

Reaction score
Two Lane Blacktop – Street Wars

Hey everyone,

I thought I would post about a new novel I’m going to be working on. I have always loved hearing about street racing scene from the past. I know with a lot of the movies today like Fast and Furious we get a lot of imports with a blend of some Muscle cars.

I thought about writing a novel with each chapter being a short story. I could give background on characters, cars and location. I keep tossing the idea around in my head about what time period I want to have this all take place in.

The more I think about it and I go away from my first idea being the 60’s and 70’s I’m thinking of adding modern day to it. I’m looking at doing the glory days of our beloved cars to the present day cars that we would like to see matched up with classic Muscle cars.

So my question is for you guys and this will be helping me out in my journey on this project. I do have the first story kind of started and later on I will give you guys a sneak peek of it. So with that being said my questions for you guys are.

What MOPAR would you like to see going against the brand X guy?

What year would you like for the story to take place in? If you want past or modern day just tell me along with the match up of cars.

I’m also going to throw this out there and put it in the mix. If you would like to be one of the characters or your car or both let me know. If you would be interested in this I would need to do something out of the box in what I have been planning to do.

I’m in the process of completing two novels that I hope to have out by the end of the year or first part of next year. The first two novels will be a Zombie story that I have been working on and off of for the past few years. The other one is a Romance novel (re-writing a good bit of it right now) that I wrote the majority in about two and half hours.

I have done mostly Horror, Zombie, Post-Apocalyptic type of stories and I’m now branching out to the Romance world as well. I was going to do a book on some fun filled facts and try to setup a photo shoot for the cars that I had in mind but in the area I live in it is very hard to find the right cars let alone the people willing to do this.

I’m still kicking around the idea of trying to do a photo shoot for this book. I will update as I go about this idea. The title of the book is also just a working title as of right now.

The novel or for it to be novel length would have to be seventy thousand words. I’m going to start with my first idea and go from there. I’m going to try and make each story 10-25 thousand words and if it goes past that, well it will be okay.

My goal is to have seven short stories but I’m sure as I go along I will go to ten maybe more as I get into the project. I would love to have twenty stories.

So for now that and this is me just thinking out loud, tell me what you would like to see and I will see if I can make it happen.

How about a 1970 340 4-speed Duster vs a 1967 L-79 4-speed Nova

How about a 1970 340 4-speed Duster vs a 1967 L-79 4-speed Nova

I like that idea, tell me about the L-79 option for the Nova. I need to look it up and do some re-search on it.

I do like that match up for body styles and I would think the weight of the cars might be the same.

That's a good one.How about ,checking out the bigger urban areas.I'm guessing you read the Car Craft issue,2 months ago.The L.A area,Bay area has a lot of stories to tell.We talkin,y2k stuff.....

That's a good one.How about ,checking out the bigger urban areas.I'm guessing you read the Car Craft issue,2 months ago.The L.A area,Bay area has a lot of stories to tell.We talkin,y2k stuff.....

I have not read that one infact I have not read a car magazine in maybe ten years. I had a stroke a few years ago and after my subscriptions ran out to all the mags (12 or 15 mags) I didn't renew them. I didn't even hardly know who I was the first three years.

So tell me about that issuie?

You do know there is a movie called Two Lane Blacktop?

I do know there is a movie with that title and there should be no issue with using it for a book. If you go to Amazon.com and type in a title you will get everything and I see books all the time with the same title.

Remember it is a working title and I used it because it would be something everyone would know.

I tried to add that my first story is going to be about a Vietnam Vet coming home and the story is going to take place in 1969. I'm going to go with a 69 1/2 M code car but not sure if it will be a Bee or Road Runner...Love them both.

Thinking about it I should have them go up against each other...

I tried to add that my first story is going to be about a Vietnam Vet coming home and the story is going to take place in 1969. I'm going to go with a 69 1/2 M code car but not sure if it will be a Bee or Road Runner...Love them both.

Thinking about it I should have them go up against each other...

I would use a 1970 model road runner (it is the most popular model, has to have an air grabber :twisted: ).
The L-79 option gave the Nova a 327c.i. that pumped out 350 HP (in real life it made more but using factory rated numbers will be easier) and upgraded suspension, plus better gearing. L-79 Nova were big block/giant killers so a race between the 340 Duster (also a big block/giant killer) and L-79 Nova would all come down to the drivers.

That or a race between a M-code 1969 Dart (they didn't stand out as much M-code Barracudas) and say a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang fastback.

You are ,the writer.Go with,your inspiration.Easy,check out Tony Defeo.,a member here.Whitepunkon nitro.He worked,as a magazine associate,by feel.Don't know,if he responds,this guy is the real deal.....

Do like a famous detective novelist does...take a bunch of Mopar gearheads out to lunch and beer and start taking copious notes...

I may be slightly biased but you need to include a story with an underdog car..the less desireable body and engine. like a valiant or late model dart with the slant 6. And no Im not trying to be funny..they dont even have to win but a lesson is always learned from these stories..also on the first sory you cold do a short about the father or uncle or whatever racing..and as a final short it could be the son or nephew several years later..or even daughter/niece. I always enjoyed those kind of stories of heritages passed down through the generations.

I may be slightly biased but you need to include a story with an underdog car..the less desireable body and engine. like a valiant or late model dart with the slant 6. And no Im not trying to be funny..they dont even have to win but a lesson is always learned from these stories..also on the first sory you cold do a short about the father or uncle or whatever racing..and as a final short it could be the son or nephew several years later..or even daughter/niece. I always enjoyed those kind of stories of heritages passed down through the generations.

I can tell you the slant six has a place in my book. My dad raced a guy with a T bird that had a 390 or 429...I think it was a 390.

The guy was a rich guy in the town he grew up in and he bet my dad he could beat him in a race title for title. My dad always said no and the guy said something that got under my dads skin and said ok.

They left the line and the last thing the guy saw was the 68 Plymouth Valiant tail lights. He asked my dad what he had under the hood and my dad said a slant six.

The guy started to sign the title over and my dad said "Don't worry it's to slow for me, keep the car." and the car was the talk of the town.

My dad also got into a race with a 68 or 69 Road Runner late one night in his 69 or 70 Dart. My dad traded cars every few months back then lol. The Road Runner didn't leave him sitting and my dad couldn't pass the Road Runner.

He was coming back to VA from some where in WVA that was normaly a two, two and half hour drive doing 120 plus and made the trip in half the time. If my mom wouldnt have woke up and stopped him he said it would have been a lot faster trip lol.

My uncle had a 70 Bee 383 and a 3spd. A guy in their town had a built 68 Camaro SS. The guy was rich farmers kid who had his dad buy him a car and have the motor built up. My uncles car was stock and he beat the guy in a race.

So I do have a place for a slant six car (maybe not winning but earning some respect) and I also want to put a C body 70-71 car in it. I will have that one called "Joy Ride" and it is all about the pour fun of taking the keys when you shouldnt.

I would use a 1970 model road runner (it is the most popular model, has to have an air grabber :twisted: ).
The L-79 option gave the Nova a 327c.i. that pumped out 350 HP (in real life it made more but using factory rated numbers will be easier) and upgraded suspension, plus better gearing. L-79 Nova were big block/giant killers so a race between the 340 Duster (also a big block/giant killer) and L-79 Nova would all come down to the drivers.

That or a race between a M-code 1969 Dart (they didn't stand out as much M-code Barracudas) and say a 1969 Boss 429 Mustang fastback.

I was thinking it was a 327 and that was also the same option on the Corvette. Good deal I will do some more research on it before I write it up. You are right on the numbers I will use factory ratings no use using the what ifs and what nots.

Yeah I love the big block killer cars like the Nova, T/A, AAR, Darts and Barracudas.

You've got me thinking now! I may have to push back my Zombie novel and get to work on this one lol.

Do like a famous detective novelist does...take a bunch of Mopar gearheads out to lunch and beer and start taking copious notes...

The sad thing in my area no real MOPAR guys we do have a club or did have one and they do not talk much or at least didn't to me.

You guys are my gear head round table and my only car club.

Also we have other car clubs in the area but are in the same frame of mind. They do not talk much at all about cars.

I can tell you the slant six has a place in my book. My dad raced a guy with a T bird that had a 390 or 429...I think it was a 390.

The guy was a rich guy in the town he grew up in and he bet my dad he could beat him in a race title for title. My dad always said no and the guy said something that got under my dads skin and said ok.

They left the line and the last thing the guy saw was the 68 Plymouth Valiant tail lights. He asked my dad what he had under the hood and my dad said a slant six.

The guy started to sign the title over and my dad said "Don't worry it's to slow for me, keep the car." and the car was the talk of the town.

My dad also got into a race with a 68 or 69 Road Runner late one night in his 69 or 70 Dart. My dad traded cars every few months back then lol. The Road Runner didn't leave him sitting and my dad couldn't pass the Road Runner.

He was coming back to VA from some where in WVA that was normaly a two, two and half hour drive doing 120 plus and made the trip in half the time. If my mom wouldnt have woke up and stopped him he said it would have been a lot faster trip lol.

My uncle had a 70 Bee 383 and a 3spd. A guy in their town had a built 68 Camaro SS. The guy was rich farmers kid who had his dad buy him a car and have the motor built up. My uncles car was stock and he beat the guy in a race.

So I do have a place for a slant six car (maybe not winning but earning some respect) and I also want to put a C body 70-71 car in it. I will have that one called "Joy Ride" and it is all about the pour fun of taking the keys when you shouldnt.

The slant will always have a special place in my heart. These big blocks can beat me in the 60, 1/8th, 1/4 you name it....but I'm glad they beat me to the pumps too. Sounds like you got a winner in the works and I would buy and read it hands down.

You are ,the writer.Go with,your inspiration.Easy,check out Tony Defeo.,a member here.Whitepunkon nitro.He worked,as a magazine associate,by feel.Don't know,if he responds,this guy is the real deal.....

That is cool maybe he will chime in here. I used to write for Mr. Norms sport club when it first started back up. I have been in print with him and on his board. I do see all the old stories I wrote for the club is off the site.

I also at the time was on the waiting list for a car magazine for if someone couldn't cover an event on the east coast I could. I think they went out of business not long after that offer lol.

I have a lot of ideas but like to get the feel of what every one likes and would like and go for it and see what happens.

The funny thing with writing about things there is no real rules. I ticked the Zombie world off when I made my Zombies smart. I took a big fan base with my story and lost them for a bit until they came around. I mean what is more scary a slow moving zombie that shambles or a Zombie with rage that can think and act in a Military fashion. I think that is more scary to me...

The slant will always have a special place in my heart. These big blocks can beat me in the 60, 1/8th, 1/4 you name it....but I'm glad they beat me to the pumps too. Sounds like you got a winner in the works and I would buy and read it hands down.

My dad had a chance to buy a brand new 340 Dart Swinger and said no he went with a Green slant six Dart and asked them to put a red pin stripe on it and he would take it. I used to see that car around town until about ten years ago.

Also thanks and if I get the book done it will be out there for anyone and everyone to buy. I will do it in both print and eBook format.

I think the early 80s street scene is still holding on but only in pockets muscle cars are still king but things are changing as far as what car 1969 roadrunner sixpack big and mean

Okay everyone, here is some of the zombie novel I've been working on and I'm less then eight thousand words from being novel length. I thought I would post a little of it with the Challenger and see what you think. I also have not went over this for any errors and I have no outline in how or what happens. So here it is.

The two girls made their way over the roof and onto the garage. He could see what looked to be a skylight in the roof. The young woman made it over to them as she pulled the hatch open and looked down inside and back at him “It looks clear.” She said as he took a knee beside her.

“I will go down in and check it out and if it is clear we can get the hell out of here.” He said looking at her as she nodded in agreement.

He stuck his head in and peered around hoping that nothing awaited him. He popped back up fast and looked at his ex-wife “That is my Challenger!” he said as a big smile crept onto his face.

“No **** Sherlock.” She said with a small chuckle as she looked over at him. “I didn’t sell it like I told you I did.” He just looked at her with a shocked look.

He moved taking off his backpack to make his way down into the garage “When I get it all checked out you can drop this down to me along with the other packs and then the girls and you.” He said looking at her.

He leaned over to the two little girls and gave them each a hug and a kiss “I love you and I’m so proud of you both.” He said as he dropped down into the garage. He landed on both feet holding his 1911 up and at the ready.

He moved around the garage with the last of the day’s sun helping lead the way. The garage was very quiet and the hair on the back of his neck stood up on end. He found a light switch and flipped it on as he turned around making sure nothing snuck up on him when he wasn’t looking.

“John! John is everything okay.” She said as she leaned in looking down at him.

“Yeah everything is okay.” He said looking up at her as he holstered his gun. He walked over to the skylight and looked up at her “Go ahead and drop the stuff down to me. I will throw it in the car and then we can get the girls and you down her.” He said as he walked back over to the car.

He ran his hands down the body of the 1970 Dodge Challenger R/T. The white paint shinned like it was new and the chrome sparkled with the light bouncing off of it. He opened the door up and put his pack inside it.

The sound of the other packs hitting the floor brought him out of his daydream state. He grabbed those quickly and loaded them up. He could see his wife watching him as he packed the car “You ready for the girls.” She asked him “Hold on one second let me get the latter in the coroner.” He said as he disappeared.

The latter banged on the edge of the skylight as he wife stuck her head back through “They are coming down.” She said as he nodded his head to her in acknowledgement. The first of the girls to come down was his oldest. He just looked at her as she made her way down. His thoughts drifted back to the day she was born and he wondered where the time had done and he silently promised to himself that he would never leave them again.

“Dad you want me to help hold the ladder?” she asked him as he hugged her.

He looked up at his wife and motioned her to send the other girl down. “No sweetie I have it and it is okay. I want you to go ahead and get in the car.” He said smiling at her as she got inside the Challenger.

The young girl made her way down and into the car with her sister as their Mother started lowering the rifles down to their father. He took them and sat them beside the car and went back over and held the ladder as she made her way down.

Her hands were a little sweaty as she gripped each rung on the ladder. She was at the last of them when her hand slipped and she fell into his arms “So is this you falling for me again?” he asked with a grin on his face.

She looked at him and gave him a wry grin “Not if you were the last man on earth.” She said as he put her down on her feet.

“Good thing I’m not the last man on earth then.” He said as he bent over and picked up the rifles handing her one.

They both walked over to the car and got in. The young man took one last look around and could see the button on the far wall that would open the garage doors. He put his AK-47 and the full auto M4 rifle into the car beside him and his ex-wife.

“I need to run over and hit the button on the wall for the garage doors.” He said looking at his wife.

He was just about to run over and do that “You don’t have to do that.” She said as he peered back into the car. “I have the door opener right here in my hand and the keys are in the ignition.” She said pointing to them.

“I saw the keys but not the door opener.” He said winking her.

The young man crawled inside the car and shut the door. They could hear the infected screaming outside. He looked into the rearview mirror at his two girls and just smiled at them. He looked over at his ex-wife and reached down to the four speed pistol grip shifter and put it in neutral.

He pushed the clutch back in and his foot on the break as he reached up to the ignition switch. He felt the car come to life with the 426 cubic inch HEMI. The radio came on as the car fired up making them all jump. The song blared out “I’m on the highway to hell.” He reached for the nob and turned it down.

They all took in a deep breath as he looked at his wife “That was perfect timing for that song. I’m glad Bob had good taste in music.” He said as he revved the motor up “So you going to open the door or should I just drive through it.” He said as she gave him the finger and hit the button. The doors started to open up “That’s the woman I fell in love with right there.” He said putting the car into first gear as she just glared at him.

Harrisonburg, Virginia
July 5th 8:00 p.m.

The infected swarmed the garage doors as they started to open. He punched the pedal to the floor as the door went all the way up. The infected in front of him took the blow as he rolled over them going down the long driveway. He could feel each thud as their bodies went under the car.

The white paint on the hood was now mixed with a crimson red. He looked all around him as he shifted gears. He could see the end of the driveway as he hit fourth gear. He punched the gas pedal a little more as he down shifted to third gear and touched the brake pedal as he pushed in the clutch. The Challenger went into a slide as he turned the car to the right giving it some more gas as he controlled the car.

The Challenger was still drifting when he caught a glimpse of the Humvee parked out front of the house “Oh ****! We have company.” He said as he punched the gas pedal to the floor shifting to fourth gear.

The young woman looked out the back glass and then back at her ex-husband. She could see the look on his face and she knew it he was now worried once again. They came to the end of the street as they slide around the turn into a controlled drift.

“I wish we had a CB radio.” He said as he kept looking at the road trying to find his quickest way out of the neighborhood.

She reached up to the glove box and opened it “I think we do from a trip we took a few weeks back.” She said as she pulled out some hand held CB radios.

He looked over at her and then at the radios. He noticed they were not the cheap hand held ones that Wal-Mart sold. The lights bounced off the rearview mirror as he started to speak “Turn them onto the police ban channel.” He said as she turned them on.

He kept looking behind him as the lights started to grow bigger in his mirror. The long straight stretch was giving the Humvee a chance to keep the Challenger in range. He was worried about how close they were getting. The Humvee would never catch challenger but the fifty caliber mounted to its roof would catch up to them with no problem.

“…..John will know what to do about that. I think we should wait one and try to regroup.” The voice on the other end of the radio said “Where is he? I thought you guys were together.” The other voice answered. There was a long pause on the radio as they listened and waited for the next words “He is saving his family and sent us on ahead. Look Deputy I do not have time to dick around talking right now. I have a few of these bastards on my *** that I’m trying to shake.” He said as the crackling sound of static came across the radio. “Roger that! I will be waiting for your signal when you are ready.” The Deputy answered him.

The young woman looked over at him and then back to the radio “Who are they” she asked as the fifty caliber opened fire on them from behind. The young man swerved the car trying to not give them an easy target.

The Dodge Challenger leaped forward as he looked in the rear view mirror. The Humvee was far enough behind him that he didn’t have to worry about them catching him, but the bullets being fired could hit them and tear the car apart.

“That was Roscoe and the Deputy at the Sheriff’s department.” He said looking at her as he looked in the mirror and swerved again. “They have been helping me all day, well Roscoe and a young boy named Tommy. The Deputy is someone I found on the radio and that is where we are heading.” He said as she just looked at him.

The young man couldn’t tell if she was exhausted or in shock at the way she looked at him. The street they were on was now filling up from the traffic that had stopped. The old burned out cars that lined the highway made them have to slow down as he down shifted the car.

The Humvee made up some ground on them as he went around each car trying to make each turn a little faster. The infected could hear the gun fire and the roar of the motor from the two vehicles as they made their way out onto the street. “Look out John!” she yelled as he swerved clipping a group of infected with the rear quarter panel of the Challenger.

He looked over at his ex-wife and then back at his two girls “Okay listen up everyone.” He said as he shifted the car back into third and then into fourth gear “We are heading to the Sheriff’s Department down town.” Looking at each one of them as he kept talking “I don’t know what it is like there or how many of the infected are awaiting us but I do know if we don’t go there and get help we do not stand a chance.” He said as he went around two stalled cars sitting in the middle of the highway.

“Do you think that is wise?” she asked him as she reached back and took the two girls hands.

The infected started to fill the streets with the sound of the 426 Hemi motor ringing out and the fifty caliber machine gun firing at them from behind. They knew that dinner awaited them and it was only a matter of time.

“I do think it is wise and it is really our only choice.” He said looking her as he pushed the gas pedal to the floor. “If we don’t do this I’m out of ideas of where to run.” He said holding onto the steering wheel with both hands gripped tight.

“I’m going with Dad.” The older of the two said as she looked up into the mirror at him.

He could see out of the coroner of his eyes the look on his ex-wife’s face. The look was one of knowing the girl was right and one of being worried about what lied ahead of them. “Jessica we will go with your father.” She said as she touched his arm.

He took a quick look over at her and nodded as he kept driving. The Humvee was in his rear view mirror and he could see them ramming the cars that stood in their way. The cities lights were just now starting to come on as the sun was starting its final descent of the day.

“I can’t shake them!” he said as he made a turn off the highway and onto a smaller road. The sounds of the tires breaking lose on the pavement as he drifted around the turn. The Challenger was moving now at just over hundred miles an hour with the road in front of them open. He knew that the only thing that would catch them now was one if not many of the bullets from the machine gun on top of the Humvee.

“Roscoe you there?” the radio crackled to life.

“Deputy I’m here for now but things are about to get a little bit more busy!” he yelled into the radio.

The man kept driving as he looked down at the radio in her hand “Can you hold the radio as I talk to them?” he asked as he kept looking out over the hood of the car.

She held the radio up to his face and pushed the button in “Roscoe what is going on?” he asked shouting over the radio.

“John is that you?” he said as he could hear gunfire in the background.

The Humvee opened fire on them as the Dodge Challenger started reaching speeds of hundred and twenty miles an hour. The young man swerved the car to the right and then the left letting the moment of the speed carry them “It’s me Rambo what is your position and what is going on?” he said over the fire of the machine gun and the roar of the motor.

“The **** has hit the fan my friend. I have five Humvees on our *** and enough infected on foot to keep a hooker happy for the rest of her life!” he yelled out over the radio. I’m a block away from the Sheriff’s department.

They could hear gunfire on the other end of the radio “Roscoe we will have the doors open and ready for you guys.” The deputy said as the radio started to crackle a little.

“Damn these hand held radios. I hope we don’t lose contact with them.” He said as they listened to what was going on. The young man had both hands on the steering wheel swerving from side to side in big arks.

“I will be there about the same time as you my friend!” he yelled over the radio as he hit the clutch and tapped the breaks turning the steering wheel to the right and drifting around the turn.

The man looked in his rear view mirror and saw the Humvee try to take the turn. The infected over shot the street and went into a big oak tree that was right off the road. “Hell yeah take that you blood thirsty bastards!” he yelled out as the others looked out the back window.

They could see the Humvee slowly sitting back down onto the ground after hitting the tree. The white smoke started pouring out from the front of the vehicle. The two girls in the back seat yelled out in joy as they saw that. “Good job Marine!” she yelled at as she leaned over and kissed him on the cheek.

“If I knew you would be kissing me today I would have done that sooner.” He said as they both laughed. He looked at her and felt all the pain from the past weighing on him. He knew that part of it was his fault and he wished he could go back and change it all.

“That was a onetime thing.” She said as he looked at her and gave her a wink.

They could see the lights of the Sheriff’s department coming up on them. He let off the gas as the cars speed carried them down the road and to the intersection of the two streets. “Deputy you there?” he asked as he held the radio in his hand.

They could see the station down the road and the streets in front of them were lined with the infected. The Military Humvees were out front of the station and he could see the muzzle flash of all the guns being fired. “I’m here John!” the man yelled over the sounds of gunfire.

He saw the Jeep pulling up as the man answered on the radio. The infected were right behind them as they swerved into the parking lot making the Humvee miss the turn off. He could see the two men getting out and running up the steps of the Sheriff’s department. They turned and fired giving each other covering fire as they moved inside.

“We are right down the street.” He said as he kept watching the station. “What do you want us to do?” he asked hoping they could lay down enough covering fire for them. The fear of what lay ahead of them made him swallow hard as he took in a deep breath.

The front of the Sheriff’s stations was filled with infected and the path to help led right through them. “Can you guys lay down covering fire so I can get my family and me in there?” he asked as the firing from the Humvees and infected stopped.

“John there is not much we can do. I need to talk to Roscoe is there a place you can hide and wait?” he asked as the radio went silent.

He looked over at the woman sitting beside him and then back at his two girls. The world around them filled with the infected. He looked down the street and off into the distance at the cars and buildings that were burned out or still burning as the smoke bellowed up and towards the sky. The sound of what used to be a friendly city was now filled with those of a war zone.

“No deputy there is no place to run.” He said feeling the dread creeping inside him. The streets were now starting to fill up with the walking dead. They stood there looking towards the white Dodge Challenger, their screams alerting the others.

“John you there buddy?” the voice rang out on the radio.

“Roscoe I’m here what’s the plan my friend?” he said as he reached out and touched his ex-wife’s cheek wiping away a small tear. “I promise I won’t let you down again.” He said as she looked up at him.

The woman looked at her two girls and then back towards him “You never let us down…I’m so sorry John….” She started to say as he put a finger to her lips “Don’t be sorry.” He said as he pushed her hair back and away from her eyes.

“John how much time do you need to be able to get inside?” he asked breaking the reunion up inside the car.

“I have my two girls and my wife if you can keep their heads down we shouldn’t need much time. Why what is the plan?” he asked holding the radio in his hand.

“I think I can give them something to chew on for a few.” He said as he heard the man start to laugh a little.

“What the hell you talking about Roscoe?” he said as he took in a deep breath.

“I still have a few RPGs and at this range how can I miss. This will take me back to my days in the NAM man and fishing with grenades.” He said with a chuckle.

The man had a smile on his face as he pushed the button in on the radio “Well then light those infected fuckers up.” He said as he handed the radio back to his wife.

“Roger that Rambo. When you see the first big fireball come on in and we will be laying down covering fire.”

“Okay we are going in hot. I promise you all that we will make it and that no matter what I love each of you.” He said as he pushed the clutch in on the Challenger and reeved the motor up.

He could see the Sheriff’s department as the front door to it opened up. The Humvee in front of it started to fire as the trail dust from the rocket left the tube. The impact of it lifting the vehicle up in the air as the ball of fire engulfed it.

The young man let off the clutch as the tires started to grip the asphalt. He could feel the tires moving as the Hemi reeved up. The white smoke was boiling out from the backend of the Challenger as he shifted into second and then third gear.

The infected made a mad dash for the car as it moved down the street. He shifted into fourth as he hit a few of them that stood in his way. They could hear the sounds of the infected hitting the body of the car and then the undercarriage as they ran over them.

The speed of the car carried them down the street towards the front of the Sheriff’s department as he slammed on the breaks pushing the clutch in and turned the wheel. The Challenger went into a skid as he downshifted and then punched the gas pedal.

The car was now drifting as the rear of the car came around taking out a few of the infected that stood there screaming. They hit the entrance of the parking lot as his two girls screamed from all the noise and bumping around.

The sound of gunfire could be heard over the sound of the Hemi motor “Get out and follow those guys in!” he shouted to his family tossing the backpacks out as the two men approached and started grabbing all their gear.

“Where you going John?” she asked with the look of worry on her face as the door was slammed shut. The two men fired off a few rounds of the infected that started approaching them.

He looked at her through the open window of the passenger door “I’m going to take out a few of these bastards.” He said as the car lurched forward with him shifting from first to second gear.

The Challenger was reaching the end of the parking lot as he shifted into fourth gear. He feathered the gas pedal pushing in the clutch and tapping the breaks. The rear of the car started to come around as he hit the gas putting on the Challenger putting it into a controlled slide out of the Sheriff’s department parking lot.

The Humvee opened fire on him as the bullets riddled the car with holes. He could feel the air as a few of the rounds passed by his head making that buzzing sound that he knew all too well from being in battle.

The straight stretch of road offered him no cover from the gunfire. He could see the next turn coming up on him fast and knew that making it around the building with the radiator smoking from the gaping hole put into it from one of the machine gun rounds would be tricky.

“**** it if I die I die but I’m damn sure going to take a few of those bastards out with me!” he yelled out inside the car looking over his shoulder as he went around the turn.

The street was full of the infected and he knew hitting them would slow him down some but he still kept his foot on in the gas. The temperature gage was rising fast as he started around the second half of the big building of the Sheriff’s department.

The young man took out his 1911 and slammed on the breaks as he spun out and onto the last street in front of the Sheriff’s building. The infected were there waiting for him in their Humvees. The turrets spun towards him as they opened fire on him.

Pretty cool stuff.

Thank you. This zombie story is one that I started writing a few years ago and it was awful I just went back and started re-writing it and the story line has changed so much that the old one I can use again some where else.

I'm excited to get started on my Two Lane Blacktop idea but first this one and one other one that will be done and then two out for the first of next year and maybe one by the middle of the year.

-
Back