Two Questions!

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
I have 2 questions maybe someone can answer;
1) My '72 Duster (was) painted a color I believe was called "Ice Blue", but had obviously been either totally or partially repainted, with the hood blacked out, along with the fender tops, extending back along the top of the doors and curling along the rear windows (follow the contour with your eyes and you can envision this). It actually looked OK. Anyway, does anybody have a photo, or a file photo of the Ice Blue paint scheme as it left the factory? Also, were any decal/stripe packages with emblems, etc. available as options with this color scheme? Any help would be appreciated.
2) I am considering running a six pack scoop but am reluctant to cut up the original hood. MAS has a lift-off glass hood w/six pack scoop available. Anyone use this/have any experience with the product & what is your opinion?

There wasn't a Ice Blue. There were at that year....
(B1)"Blue Sky", became "Powder Blue" in 74
(B3)"Basin Street Blue",
(B5)"True Blue Poly",
became "Lucerne Blue" in 74,
became "Jamaican Blue" in 76

In 73 (B9)"Regal Blue" was added
In 74 (B9) was dropped for (B8)"Starlight Blue Poly"
In 75 (B3) was dropped for (B2)"Astral Blue Poly"
In 76 (B4)"Big Sky Blue" was added

In 77 and on up everything changed. Do you have any idea when it might have been painted and where you came up with "Ice Blue"? I would suggest going to autocolorlibrary.com and go through plymouth and dodge year by year until you find the paint chip. The color I think it may be is a 1979 color called "Frost Blue Poly". After 79, there were a lot of Blueish/Silver Metallics going around. Is it possible to clean up a small spot and take a slightly overexposed picture?

As far as stripe options, depending on the motor or maybe "Twister" package, the would have been a double stripe that ran the length of the car and curved up for that year after the "B" pillar and back to the rear quarter with a motor call out if optioned. The "Twister" also had the best hood treatment I have ever seen. Twin scoops with Strobe treatment down the center. Damn that was hot.

I came up with the "Ice Blue" thing at a paint shop after I first primed the car for repainting. They had me page through a paint chip chart from 1970-1974 and the color that popped up was (I thought) ice blue. I'll pop the deck lid tomorrow night and get some shots of the clean, undisturbed color and see if any of you can ID it. As for the stripe kits, my first '72 had the Rallye package with the "340" logo and the dual stripe, plus the little pissed-off looking tornados (love those guys!) but I didn't know if that was the only stripe/option package for that year. Is there any way to find out exactly what this car left the factory looking like? I'll check out the autocolorlibrary; thanks for the link and the replies, guys! :salut:

Still haven't been able to ID the color after viewing the autocolorlibrary link. I took some pix but don't think they turned out too well. I was able to locate the fender tag; the color code on the the tag is "GA4", if anyone can decipher that for me? I have all the tag info, if anyone has a link I could go to and check options, stripe kits, etc.

Duster deck lid.jpg

Duster trunk latch.jpg

Now it's getting interesting. Taking your suggestion to search other years, I flipped back to 1970, and......BINGO! Ice Blue! Could my title be wrong, and this is really a 1970 car? The original engine block had a cast date of 10-'69 but I thought somebody had installed it in place of the original. More research to follow............

According to the "VIN search" on this forum, it is indeed a 1972 Duster. Strange, indeed! :wack:

Check the VIN stamping in the rear package shelf, by the drivers side speaker. I think this was done only on the 70 model year Duster, this may help you confirm just what you have. If you have the stamping there then your body shell is a 1970. Good luck

hey capt. k hold the boat! i came in on the tail end of this thread. i have been reading your findings and have a few of my own. first off there was a ice blue in 1970 for dusters. the code though is "eb3". secondly you state your fender tag says the color is "GA4". accoriding to what i have found that color is called "Winchecter Grey Metallic" . it was called this for model year 71-72. i would guess it is the same color for 1970 just renamed for 71-72. now as far as your car being a 70 or 72 thing. i haven't seen you post your vin so i can't comment on this, but the vin should be vs29( c slant 6, g 318, or h 340) with a 2 next. for 1972 model year. this number can be found on numerous places on the car. radiator core support , engine block, transmission on passenger side near pan. ect..... if you need more info on your car i can help further decode it. good luck

The VIN is VS29H2BXXXXXX, so that confirms it's a '72. The color code on the tag is GA4.....if you say that's Winchester Gray I believe you. I saw the color chip for this on autocolorlibrary.com and the Winchester Gray looks like the color the car was, but the inside of the deck lid is very blu-looking to me. I wonder, if like you suggested, "Ice Blue" simply became Winchester Gray in 1971 +.
As for the motor that came out of it, I have reasons to believe this is a 1970 340, and possibly not original. Here's why:
1) The casting date on the block is (I believe; it's hard to read) 10/69
2) The pistons were the 10.2:1 pistons with two valve relief cutouts on the crowns (see pix below)
3) The hi-perf exhaust manifolds were installed.
4) The intake/ carb combo was a Carter AVS.
5) The cam chain oiler was the early style perf'd bolt.
6) The odometer had over 100K on it. There were no ridges at the top of the cylinders; in fact, I didn't even need a ridge reamer to get the pistons out.
Engine VIN is EW340P28200302

pistons.jpg

engine is definatly a 70. the casting date should be within 90 days of the build date of the car. that settles that. now as for the winchester grey, thing remember it's only a name here. many colors were reused and renamed to give it a new for this model year impression. i have to say it has to be the same. the difference you see in the underside of the trunk lid is due most likely to the fact it has never seen the light of day like the outside has. this is what the real color would look like. hope this helps.....

Eh Captain, I'm running a bolt on 6 pack hood from AAR Fiberglass in Florida and they make both a lift off and bolt on for your Duster. I really like the hood and the fit is great and best of all is the lunger under the hood can breath better.:evil2:

Copy of P7280002.JPG

Thanks, guys! After viewing the Winchester Grey chip again, I could see where some twisted Chevy freak might think it resembled.....gray....well, a little? And now DemonSeed has to go and print pictures of a wickedly black fire-breather.......No! I won't be swayed! I've decided to redux the car in the original color and you can't stop me.
See, my first '72 was originally (and I repainted) Tor-red.....what a killer machine! I still wake up in sweats thinking about it! But given the color on the inside of the trunk, doorsills, etc, I finally had made up my mind to go original. (and then some guy posts this killer black Demon.....but anyway....)
Winchester Grey it is. And you can't stop me. #-o

Sigggghhhhhh! I keep telling people.......I'm not Scotty!
Tell me more about your hood, though.
How's the fit & finish, quality, is it easy to R&R, etc? How much was it? I'm a little leery about the MAS hood due to the cost.

Captainkirk said:
Sigggghhhhhh! I keep telling people.......I'm not Scotty!
Tell me more about your hood, though.
How's the fit & finish, quality, is it easy to R&R, etc? How much was it? I'm a little leery about the MAS hood due to the cost.

It was 480.00 US but you got to pay shipping and it comes in gelcoat white or black so you got to find a good painter how knows what he's doing prepping and painting fiberglass. www.aarqualityfiberglass.com is the website and the fit is really good and finish is perfect. You also got to release the old hinge springs if you go with the bolt on since the springs are to strong. Also the spoke that's in the middle of the scoop is a little thin so I built the back up with resin epoxy glue for more strength. Go to their website, they do exclusively Dodge and Plymouth. I did have one complaint and that's trying to place the order and waiting 2 months for delivery but some of that was Canada customs.

the PPG paint code for winchester gray metallic is 2314 for 71 ans 72 plymouth.

-
Back