Two Tone Painting Question

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I am an experienced painter. I've been painting cars for about 45 years. However, I am getting ready to do my first two tone job, and I wanted an experienced opinion on my idea. I am helping a friend with his 56 Studebaker Power Hawk. The entire car will be red, and the roof will be white as per the original paint job. The body is stripped completely down, on a rotisserie, and completely ready for sealer and paint. Here is what I was thinking on doing: Spray the entire body shell with sealer, wait 20-30 minutes and spray the roof with white base coat. Then wait about 40 minutes (paint instructions say OK to tape in about 30 minutes) and mask off the roof with tape and plastic along the exact line where some trim that separates the white and red will go, and spray the rest of the body shell with red. Then I will take off the plastic and tape, wait 30 minutes, lightly dust off everything with tack rag, and then spray clear over everything. I do not believe that waiting a little longer than normal to spray basecoat over sealer or clear over basecoat than normal will hurt. I think I can get it all done from beginning to end in 5 hours or less. Most time spent on waiting for flash times. What do you guys think?
Body in Epoxy1.JPG

This is what it will look like:
PH to be.jpg

Last edited:
I think I like it, but my experience is in residential/ commercial building applications. My Duster is 2 shades of red, but my friend Alan, who has been at Ed Morse Cadillac forever did it. It's shiny, but he did her w/ single stage paint. He don't paint for them, he's a heavy collision tech

Last edited:
With 45 years of experience I believe you will do amazing...

Id do the white first tape it off then do the red tach it all off then clear

Biggest front body supports I`ve ever seen.
OP, sounds like a plan to me. show us when your done.
The cars are built like tanks. The body bolts to the frame in 18 places. I guess they didn't want it to fall off. The only thing that isn't built a tank is the hood. Believe it or not, there is NO bracing under the hood. It is just a huge piece of 18 gauge sheet metal with a bunch of curves and a frame around the outside. It took FOREVER to get that hood whipped into shape. This winter we will finish a few things on the frame (which has been totally restored) and mount engine and transmission. As soon as spring hits, I will start painting. My friend, Mark, who owns the car, has a real painting booth in his 30 x150 Morton building. But it isn't heated.

-
Back