Two underhood questions

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Evening folks. Working on a '72 Duster.
1. The underside of the hood is black, the car is brown. I thought the underside would match the rest of the car, but I see no evidence it was ever brown. Should it be black or match the car color?
2. The hood to cowl seal. How is this attached? I would like to remove it to refinish the underside of the hood, but at first look it appears to be stapled in. Any info is appreciated.
Thanks,
C

The bottom of the hood should be body color. To remove the cowl seal, gently pull back on the gasket and then use a needle nose pliers to pinch the clip. This will prevent your seal from ripping. The seal uses spring slips to hold it to the hood.

Thanks for the info. Strange that my hood shows no brown on the underside. I will try to remove the seal from my parts hood before I tackle my original.
Thanks again,
C

Thanks for the info. Strange that my hood shows no brown on the underside. I will try to remove the seal from my parts hood before I tackle my original.
Thanks
Chances that someone used a black hood and then painted the ouside brown? You think?

Topside doesn't appear to have been repainted. Oh well, it will be body color when finished. I really needed the answer regarding the seal.
C

Maybe the hood was replaced with a new one. I've seen new body parts that came with a coat of black paint, probably to protect from rust during storage & shipping. Sombody doing a quick replacment would most likely just paint the part that showed & leave the underside alone.

-
Back