u-joint girdle question?

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Just about to install drive shaft, using girdles instead of straps. The following sentence cunfused me.

When installing, be sure to press the clamp down on bearing cap and check for at least .010” crush at the parting line.

Can someone explain what they are talking about? And how do I check this?
Thanks

I've never used them, but I'm going out on a limb and say that they are talking about where the girdle meets the yoke.

I would assume these are made so they clamp down rather than just mate up with the yoke face to provide good clamping strength.

What does it tell you after that?

What I think they want you to do is push it down with your fingers and check to see if you have the minimum gap they give so when you tighten it it actually clamps down.

It means to make sure the bearing clamp does not seat all the way down just by setting it on there.
You should have an air gap of at least .010 before you tighten it down.

It's to make sure the clamp is actually clamping instead of just sitting over the bearing cap.

Most failures from u-joint girdles are from incorrect use, even driveline shops many times don't get it.

Install the cap to the end yoke and measure the diameter, if you can't measure the diameter of the cap and end yoke then install the cap and girdle and use a feeler gauge and see if you have .010 clearance between the end yoke face and the girdle face
If you have .010 then continue the install, if you don't then you need to machine off .0whatever it is you need to to get to that point.

Too tight is like having u bolts and over tightening them you crush the cap, to loose they spin and you spit your shaft out.

-
Back