Uh-oh need your input.

-
Sure been a lot of this going around lately, nobody seems to care or or is honest anymore.
Saturday my daughter took her Mustang to a shop in the O C (Cali) to get the exhaust leak fixed. She has already had a shop look at the problem (ball connection between the Y pipe and the catalytic converter is leaking profusely. Even she knew not to let that shop "caulk up" the leak.
You would think even an idiot calling himself a professional would know to replace or repair either of the two major parts or the clamp holding them together, but after she discussed the work to be done with this current idiot and authorized the work, he kept the car 4 1/2 hours and called her back in. Instead of giving her back a repaired car, said he would need to keep the car through Monday because he couldn't tell what was wrong without taking it apart. Even though this shop hadn't touched the repair, the "tech" said he had "checked all the fluids" and wouldn't let her have the car back until she paid him 105 dollars. Mine you, this was after she had discussed with them the possible repairs, time to complete the repairs, accepted their estimated costs, and AUTHORIZED the repair! Looks like the only way to keep from being screwed on car repairs in the LA basin is to always have one new enough to be on warranty.
Maybe not in the same category as machining parts with obvious to the naked eye defects, but just as dishonest, makes you wish you could do EVERYTHING yourself.

Best off to fix it yourself ,or at least have a good buddy do it.I agree,there is thievery running rampant in the repair industry. Hopefully the bad shops get starved out,before too many folks get swindled

Hi Guys. I was poster #2 and i think we all agree about possible malpractice on a shops part. I was thinking, and this hasn't been asked yet......was this "new" shortblock ever thru the doors of a machine shop? Was this a used block that was just being freshened at home? Could this just have been overlooked by someone that just doesn't have as much experience as some of us? Could it have been tipped over or dropped after it left the shop? Accidentally of course. We haven't heard back from the OP "Kevin D" yet. I hope all of us, me included, didn't scare him off because he possibly made a mistake. Hopefully he will come on and give us more details. I know we would all help with advise if we can.
^^^ Exactly. We don't have enough details to draw any conclusions here.

Well I purchased the shortblock from a member dont remember if it was here or at other site.I think moparts not bashing them.73 340 block with mopar permormance crank lighn bored,square decked.Eagle rods.KB pistons for open chamber heads.Really nice looking short block.All new price was right.I pulled my 340 and am in process of putting this together for fall.Dont have alot of spare time.Will probably seal up and run,Kevin.

-
Back