Under Dash Stereo. Any Advice?

-

cudaracer

Reaction score
I want to put an under dash stereo in my e-body, and I am about to go searching for options, kits, etc. I was thinking of new front dash speaker and new 6x9's in the back as well.

Any tips?
Is wiring straight forward around existing factory mopar stereo? I don't really care if it is not working while new one is.

Thanks

Easy...I used a unit designed for a boat or car. Bought it at a local stereo shop that did installations. I can post a pic if you like.. Screws in with existing dash screws so no drilling, etc.

I've seen lots of people build their own "console" so to speak in the models not equipped with a factory center console. You can get pretty creative and make it look really good at the same time

I've seen lots of people build their own "console" so to speak in the models not equipped with a factory center console. You can get pretty creative and make it look really good at the same time

Done that before, and you can even connect your heater outlet with vent hoses so you can have multi directional floor heat outlets on the sides of it if you want.

There are automotive AM/FM mp3 players that are small and inexpensive. A 16 gig memory card holds enough music for a few days. They also typically have a remote to set features, volume, track...

Done that before, and you can even connect your heater outlet with vent hoses so you can have multi directional floor heat outlets on the sides of it if you want.
that would be cool....or warm depending on your settings. Lol

My stereo is where my factory AM one is. Hard to explain but I used the face of the old stereo and put it on a plate that was hinged and the new deck is underneath. It works out nice because the dash looks totally stock. I'll try to post pics today.

Thanks all. Good ideas. I am leaning toward the hidden system with remote control. Best of all worlds that way

Steve, you could mount it under the seat also if heat is a concern. However as I'm sure you already knew, you will not be able to see the stereo. I don't believe that's much of a concern though. As for the convenience of plugging in a device, I know they make remote plug ins for such a predicament. I know you can get them at Oreillys. Plugs in to the existing device plug in and you attach the other end where ever you so choose

Can use one of these to plug an ipod etc into, in a more convenient location.

I plan to add one to my console,so I can plug in my phone,and E-cig while I cruise.(or where the original cig element is in the ashtray)

http://www.retrosound.com/product-p/1970-74-usb-port.htm

1970-74-USB-PORT-2T.jpg

-
Back