under vinyl top treatment

-

forced 340

Reaction score
Hey gang! What is best to paint under a vinal top? I am replacing the top on my wife's 73 swinger. I took the old one off, and cleaned all the glue off. Now there are some bare spots. was thinking por-15 the entire roof after hitting it with a DA/320 paper? the car had some rust on the windshield frames that I took care of and don't want coming back, so I thought por-15 would work good? Im open to suggestions! Thanks guys!

Hey gang! What is best to paint under a vinal top? I am replacing the top on my wife's 73 swinger. I took the old one off, and cleaned all the glue off. Now there are some bare spots. was thinking por-15 the entire roof after hitting it with a DA/320 paper? the car had some rust on the windshield frames that I took care of and don't want coming back, so I thought por-15 would work good? Im open to suggestions! Thanks guys!

My '70 had no finish coat under the vinyl top from the factory. It was just primered. I prep'd, primed and finish coated it before replacing the vinyl top.

Do any metal straightening, dent or rust repairs, treat the surface rust, prime it and finish coat it. when you get ready to put your front and rear windows back in, be sure to install your molding trim at the same time to ensure proper fitment.

great info! thanks!
My '70 had no finish coat under the vinyl top from the factory. It was just primered. I prep'd, primed and finish coated it before replacing the vinyl top.

Do any metal straightening, dent or rust repairs, treat the surface rust, prime it and finish coat it. when you get ready to put your front and rear windows back in, be sure to install your molding trim at the same time to ensure proper fitment.

are you saying to install the trim before the windows to see if they fit?

I finish painted mine also, just like the rest of the car before installing top. just gave it a scuff to help the glue hold.

PPG part number 512X310 epoxy primer. Kit is a urethane compatible 2k epoxy. Base and activator mix 1 to 1. Best to cover car with plastic, tape it off and spray it. Though brushing it on with a foam brush under where the top goes will work, just longer drying time. 3 coats is sufficient. Stuff is tough as nails, grips very well, contains corrosion inhibitors. You will not need to paint over it. Clean out paint gun immediately after spraying because it drys like concrete.

are you saying to install the trim before the windows to see if they fit?

That's probably a good idea too, but I was referring to installing the trim at the same time the windows are epoxied into the car to ensure they at the correct height on the glass.

the windshields are not epoxied in, they still have gaskets.
That's probably a good idea too, but I was referring to installing the trim at the same time the windows are epoxied into the car to ensure they at the correct height on the glass.

the windshields are not epoxied in, they still have gaskets.

Oh, I was remembering my e-body. Good catch. My front A-Body gasket from Soft Seal leaks water at speed, so I'm going to try squirting in some non-hardening sealant to stop it.

-
Back