Undercoating removal recipes

-

fulltank

Reaction score
I have a lot of old undercoating to remove so I would like to hear your suggestions on what did and didn't work.
I know a guy that swears by using dried ice
you put it in a tray under your car near the undercoating and it gets so cold it shrinks and flakes off!!!

I've done it with a paint scraper and a wire wheel brush. The dry ice sounds like an interesting idea, but I think it would be more effective if it were placed on the metal floor above the area you're trying to clear.

The other way I've done it is to score it with a paint scraper, spray with lighter fluid, and ignite it. Must be done outside. Car interior must be completely stripped. Can not be used around fuel, brake, and electrical lines. Not good for you to breath, not good for the environment. Will convert some undercoating to a molten state, so provisions need to be made for drips. Need to provide for flame control. Is definitely not PC.

I`ve heard of people using things like Easy-Off oven cleaner, laquer thinner, or a propane torch to soften it, but always in conjunction with a scraper of some sort. Of course with the tools you must also have a conviction and a lot of patience.

First, I start w/ the attitude that this will take a while, so I ain't gonna be in no hurry. Then I use a heat gun, scraper, a couple different wire wheels in a drill, and laquer thinner. Gotta always be conscience about what you're pointing heat at; and use eye protection!
I don't have the bucs to do anything to my 'Sport yet, so I go out and scrape for kicks and giggles. I've been keeping the "gook" in a trash bag. I'm not half done yet and the bag weighs about 12 lbs.

how many have just blackened it up? lol. i dont have the drive to do this much work on what cant be seen

how many have just blackened it up? lol. i dont have the drive to do this much work on what cant be seen

Oh, you mean like the .98 cent can of semi-flat black paint to make it "look" nice? ....my daily duster looks nice in the wheel wells .... ;)

nothing wrong with refreshing it with a black spraybomb. If its not falling off, and your not trying to drop weight, why go through all the hassle of removing it! Krylon makes a semi-flat black enamel in the "rust tough" line that works well. I also use it for chassis black.

Only thing I got mine off with was one of those hot air paint stripping guns softens it up and scrape it off then wire brush with some kerosene to get at the difficult bits

This tool is on the market any one ever use it?
http://www.tooltopia.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=9984

I've used a wire wheel on my 4 1/2 inch grinder and works ok
you just have to make sure you don't get it caught on an edge
I've got a couple burns to prove it.
I'm gonna try the dried ice for sure

Undercoating stripper.jpg

i used the propane torch to heat it and then scrape it off. burns real good if u get it on u and the fumes are not too sweet either. its a lot of work. when i did my front splash shields i used a 5 gallon bucket full of old gas and just let them soak until i could scrape it all off.

-
Back