Undercoating removal

-

Sharko

Sharko
Reaction score
I used map gas and a putty knife to scrape off all the undercoating on my 65 cuda.Whats the best way to clean up the rest? I want it dam near perfect underneath.

at the shop i wrk at i ues adhesive remover if its a rubberised u coat

i would say wire wheel on a grinder and safety glasses lol. one nasty tool but will rip that crap up

I seen a guy remove the factory undercoating off of a cuda using a hot water pressure washer. It appear to come off clean. Maybe someone can chime in.

if all you have is the film i use gas on a rag or brush.what ever you do other than very hot steam will be a mess.

The undercoat on mine that was soaked in oil from trany/motor leaks made the UC very fluffy and just scrapped right off.... The other 40yr old crap that could take a beating with a hammer and still stay put.... Came right off with some good paint stripper from HD or Lowes. I got the paste stuff that I brushed on and it would stay there better to soak in. You could get it in a sprayable form or they even have it in aerosol cans.

I tried everyway from sunday on my 65 Cuda and after I was almost done with the torch and scaper the guy I bought my motor and trans from about a month ago gave me this tip and I'll never do it any other way from now on.

Air chisel with the air pressure set down low so as not to do any damage to the metal, and it worked like a hot knife through butter. ;)

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think Im gonna go with the stripper and then hit it with a steam cleaner.That should make for a very messy and fun filled day! lol.

What is map gas? Just curious.

you know when you go the the harware store and you see the tall skinny blue bottles of gas (propane)? well map gas is the bottle that looks exactly like that but is yellow instead.....map gas is just a little hotter burning of gas is all....alot of people use it for brazing and heating sheat metal to form it out and all sorts of other uses.....about the same as propane just hotter....and when map gas (yellow bottle) is paired up with a bottle of oxygen(red bottle) you can use them just like a set of torch's....not as powerfull but good for small jobs and stuff. Im no expert but that should atleast help you understand it a little better lol

I used map gas and a putty knife to scrape off all the undercoating on my 65 cuda.Whats the best way to clean up the rest? I want it dam near perfect underneath.

Did you try mineral spirits yet? Works great on black stuff on windshield gaskets!
I'm dittoing the wire wheel even though I hate it!

I've always used PPG's DX330. Soak for a few then it wipes right off. The problem with wire wheels is that if there's any clumps left behind from scraping is that'll clog the wheel and just spread it around, as the heat will melt it. Maybe others have had good experience with it, but I haven't. I just like to wipe it off and be able to throw the rags (blue paper shop towels) in the trash. Not a lot of mess.

I have used the little propane bottle with the torch attachment on the end and a putty knife for the biggest parts. Beware the fumes from the shtit though its pretty damn bad.

Jeff

I just prepped my Dart for subframe connectors and went the wire wheel route. It works pretty well, but it is an incredibly dirty job to do. I couldn't get it all off, because some cables and brake lines were in the way, so I believe I'll try the paint stripper previously suggested. That will let me get up under the cables and lines to remove what I couldn't get with the drill and wire wheel.

Yes I ran into the same problem with the wire wheel in cetain spots it just heats up the UC and spreads it around and clogs up the wheel.I'm gonna go with the stripper and steam cleaner when I get back from Minnisota in a week.I leave tommorrow,but thanks guys for all the info and your own expieriences with this messy ****!

The experience i've had with the factory under coating on my A bodies was just to use an air hammer with a dull,but not blunt chisel. It flakes off with little effort and what was really stuck on, I used laquer thinner on a rag.

under.jpg

Heat and scraper worked fine on mine. I bought a gallon of Goof Off at the hardware store to remove the residue. Dissolved it instantly.

Heat and scraper worked fine on mine. I bought a gallon of Goof Off at the hardware store to remove the residue. Dissolved it instantly.

I read the MSDS on their website. Bad stuff, so anyone using it should also refer the MSDS and follow the PPE requirements. The main ingredient is Xylene which I'm very familiar with having a background in the pharmaceutical industry. Just a word of caution.

http://www.goof-off.com/

Of course, taking the proper safety precautions for any removal method should not be overlooked.

Of course, taking the proper safety precautions for any removal method should not be overlooked.

70duster440 .......I like your avatar picture.....how did you make it? photoshop it up or something? looks good

-
Back