Understanding my timing....initial and total

-

megavites

Reaction score
So I've got my rebuilt 318 running. Running a Hughes whiplash cam and performer intake
on stock heads.
Initially I had it set at 15deg intial and total turned out to be 26. Idled fine, missing some on top end.
I dialed up total timing at 3000rpm to 35 deg. and initial came in at 25. (all with vac. disconnected). Runs better all around.
I was surprised to see I was at 25 initial. It's a stock dist. and modifications to springs and such will be a new to me.
She runs well with more torque set like this.
Should I search for more or tweak things differently?

Always have timed to 35 total. What the engine would take initially and happily then add mech rapidly to reach 35. It can be that simple in lots of cases! No need to overthink it! If you want to maximize cruise and mileage go for more with other cam/ignition and engine mods, Otherwise be happy you got 35 total with initial and mechanical and no bad effects JMO.

My 383 has 20 initial and 15 mechanical "quickly" running Rec 90 with no ill effects even on the hottest Ga. days! Gotta be happy with that!

Last edited:
So I've got my rebuilt 318 running. Running a Hughes whiplash cam and performer intake
on stock heads.
Initially I had it set at 15deg intial and total turned out to be 26. Idled fine, missing some on top end.
I dialed up total timing at 3000rpm to 35 deg. and initial came in at 25. (all with vac. disconnected). Runs better all around.
I was surprised to see I was at 25 initial. It's a stock dist. and modifications to springs and such will be a new to me.
She runs well with more torque set like this.
Should I search for more or tweak things differently?

If it runs good set at 25 initial leave it set there. If you want to see the max initial, you can advance the timing until it knocks under load. 65'

your 318 with stock heads (and if it's stock bore/pistons) may end up being happiest around 38-40 total timing. my 318 is at 40* full advance, and 20* initial.

If it starts hot and doesn't detonate I wouldn't change anything. If it doesn't detonate and doesn't start for you, buy a timing retard. IT pulls 20 degrees out of the engine until it breaks 600 RPM. So you'd be starting the engine at 5 degrees BTDC.

I run 17/35 all in at 3500 and run a 3500 vert

When does it stop advancing? Can't just pick a RPM number and call it good.

Some stock distributors will advance to around 4K+ range sometimes.

-
Back