Uneducated, would YOU buy?

-
To much. I can get a B body 8.75 here for $200 or less without hassle. Nothing wrong with a Ford "8 or "9 if you are on a budget.

The 8.25 is still a decent rear as well if you aren't pushing crazy hp/tq levels.

Kramer 8-1/4's are great rearends IMO. They won't take the punishment an 8-3/4 takes but it will take a lot. I had one in a 93 Dakota that I raced for several yrs. It wasn't real fast, just 14.40's but I must have made at least 500 trips down the quarter with it in a 3700 lb truck and it was still working fine when I sold the truck at 90,000 miles. If your not going over 400 hp with slicks a 8-1/4 will do you fine as long as it's in good shape. The best part is their 1/2 the price (or even less than a 8-3/4 and they were made for A-bodies so they'll bolt right in. The only thing you have to watch out for on them is there were a few with a 2.40 gear ratio (super slug on take off) and you can't change gears cause the carrier is different. Also heard the case is even different but I'm not positive on that. They made quite a few with the 3.21 ratio which isn't bad for the street.

Just put the 8 1/4 in it. Cheaper, easier to find and it will hold up to all you will ever throw at it.

Kramer 8-1/4's are great rearends IMO. They won't take the punishment an 8-3/4 takes but it will take a lot. I had one in a 93 Dakota that I raced for several yrs. It wasn't real fast, just 14.40's but I must have made at least 500 trips down the quarter with it in a 3700 lb truck and it was still working fine when I sold the truck at 90,000 miles. If your not going over 400 hp with slicks a 8-1/4 will do you fine as long as it's in good shape. The best part is their 1/2 the price (or even less than a 8-3/4 and they were made for A-bodies so they'll bolt right in. The only thing you have to watch out for on them is there were a few with a 2.40 gear ratio (super slug on take off) and you can't change gears cause the carrier is different. Also heard the case is even different but I'm not positive on that. They made quite a few with the 3.21 ratio which isn't bad for the street.

Different case, there is two cases for the 8 1/4, To quote DusterIdiot on the slant forum

The split is at the 2.71 mark...The 70's, but mostly 80's cars could be had with the 2.45:1 (318) or 2.26/2.24 rear gears(check that dippy or Mirada)... which will have a different carrier than the 2.71-4.56 gearing...

-
Back