Uneven frame rails?

-

Woods74

Broke Senior
Reaction score
Howdy everyone, just got done installing my trunk floor and ran into something odd, the floor is off 1/4" side to side on the frame rails, I made my trunk extensions off of the quarters:

I feel like I was diligent in making sure tabs on the wheel house was installed correctly measurement wise, when I reinstalled them. The c-pillar alignment is good the quarter panel fits like a dream.

How do I go about double checking measurements here? As far as the body panels are concerned everything fits like a dream. I've heard factory tolerances suck, should I even be concerned?

Thanks

Seems like a non-critical tolerance, but I could be wrong on that.

Did you check to see if your frame is square? Measure from the holes in the bottom of the frame rails in an x pattern and from the floor up and it it will give u an idea what is going on.the car should be sitting on its suspension or a least level when you measure . I replaced the floor in my dart. I had to straighten out the rear frame because it had a little twist in it.

Did you check to see if your frame is square? Measure from the holes in the bottom of the frame rails in an x pattern and from the floor up and it it will give u an idea what is going on.the car should be sitting on its suspension or a least level when you measure . I replaced the floor in my dart. I had to straighten out the rear frame because it had a little twist in it.

X2
Throw the 2x4 staight edge away, pine is never straight.
Your replacement panels are no way near square by looking at the photos.
I think if you can make a small spacer and everything will be fine.
But check the frame, x, y, z axis etc.

The drop offs came out a little heavy, and I'm cool with that, I'll see what I can do with the drivers side, it should be easy enough to cut the wheel house out and pull it down a bit to even things up.

I just dropped a tape inside the wheel wells and eyeballed across the frame rails, drivers side is 1/4 heavy. Seems like this is whats odd.

As far as square is concerned:

When I installed my hitch I checked the square, all looked good.

What is the measurement from floor to lip of trunk rail, or whatever is the most reliable?

There are no real specs to follow that are going to help u. you just got to check one side off of the other and make sure that they are close to the same. then once you are happy with the frame/suspension measurements you fit the body panels together to where you are happy with the gaps and alignment. you pretty much have to screw the whole back end together at once get your gaps right b4 you weld anything.

Thanks for the pointers dbp, I'll make it work, I figured a few setbacks are normal when you have to do an extensive replacement.

To the cutoff wheel! :burnout:

-
Back