Unhappy....Paint

-

oneway71

Reaction score
So today I had a 2005 Jeep Rubicon come in for a new hood and a touch up on the front fender. So I primed and painted the hood and fender. The Paint did not match. Was it mixed wrong? It is just too dark. A little frustration..........

This is my first time not painting an entire vehicle. All my others paint jobs have been classics and full restorations.

The worst part; it was for a family member....the only reason I squeezed it in and now I am unhappy with the results....

The sun and weather will change the color over 5 years. That's most likely the issue.

What color or code was it? Did you blend adjacent panels? There aren't to many colors that you can panel paint.
I've been restoring cars and been working in the collision industry as a Body/Paint tech for 23 years.
Restoring cars and collision work are 2 different animals!
Depending on what clear you used, sometimes that can darken up a color if it was a speed clear.

What color or code was it? Did you blend adjacent panels? There aren't to many colors that you can panel paint.
I've been restoring cars and been working in the collision industry as a Body/Paint tech for 23 years.
Depending on what clear you used, sometimes that can darken up a color if it was a speed clear.

I would rather restore.

The Jeep was white, pw1 It did spend a few years in the Nevada sun. Now it resides in Wisconsin. ( I had to drive to WI last weekend and pick it up, and need to return it next weekend)

I think the biggest problem was that he didnt want to put any money into it; and I used a single stage cheap paint! I did paint the whole fender because I knew I would have trouble blending it.

I used the same color ground coat. So it mainly is the brand and single stage.

On a Restoration it would have been PPG or HOK.

This was a freebie job for my Dad; thats the only reason I tried to squeeze it in.

I would rather restore.

The Jeep was white, pw1 It did spend a few years in the Nevada sun. Now it resides in Wisconsin. ( I had to drive to WI last weekend and pick it up, and need to return it next weekend)

I think the biggest problem was that he didnt want to put any money into it; and I used a single stage cheap paint! I did paint the whole fender because I knew I would have trouble blending it.

I used the same color ground coat. So it mainly is the brand and single stage.

On a Restoration it would have been PPG or HOK.

This was a freebie job for my Dad; thats the only reason I tried to squeeze it in.

Bingo! And PW1 has what, six, seven variances? Maybe more? I worked with a guy who did a fender on a minivan with the green variance using the red variance. Looked like crap in the booth, looked even worse in the sun. Looked like a green van with a red fender on it, even though it was all white.

Unless you want to carry the blend into the adjacent panels you're going to have to chalk this one up to a learning experience. Personally, depending on the size of the area to be fixed I probably would have stayed small and blended out from there. I say probably, simply because I don't know the size of the area you're working with.

There were only two touch ups on the fender about the size of a 50 cent piece. I was only going to touch them up; but I was talking to an owner of a collision shop and he said with the brand of paint I was using that I should do the whole fender. So that is what I did.
Oh well experience is what I gained! And we all like experience.

The last one I painted turned out good. PPG True Blue kandy. I know it's not a Mopar, but it also wasnt mine.

I wish the Jeep would have been as easy!

887comp.jpg

885comp.jpg

I don't think I would ever even consider blending a single stage paint??? I wouldn't even bother dumping that garbage in my paint cup. You get what you pay for, best part about white is you can't look at it long enough in the sun to see it doesn't match ! hahahaha.

Its definetly the last time I try a touch up for someone......lol Only full from here on out and with the paints I know PPG & HOK.......

I was wondering what you thought.

My original color is PW1 Stone white.

The paint can has on the label SW1 Stone white.

Is there a difference between the P and S? Or could this just be a MFG #?

Thanks

Ok guys I just got off the phone with the paint supplier. This is what they had to say:

1) PW1 and SW1 are the same.
2) There is no way to match color so expect it not to match. We should have told you this because we knew you were doing a touch up. :angry7:
3) We have no way to take a sample and mix paint to match.
4) We only mix to a variance 0, because it is too complicated to do anything else.

So there it is straight from the supplier........

Ok guys I just got off the phone with the paint supplier. This is what they had to say:

1) PW1 and SW1 are the same.
2) There is no way to match color so expect it not to match. We should have told you this because we knew you were doing a touch up. :angry7:
3) We have no way to take a sample and mix paint to match.
4) We only mix to a variance 0, because it is too complicated to do anything else.

So there it is straight from the supplier........

You need a new supplier. Elmira Auto Paint, my paint vendor of choice, PPG Platinum dealer, can match any variance I ask them to. If there's any question as to which variance to use, they'll get the scope out.

I don't think I would ever even consider blending a single stage paint??? I wouldn't even bother dumping that garbage in my paint cup. You get what you pay for, best part about white is you can't look at it long enough in the sun to see it doesn't match ! hahahaha.

And how do you think the old single stage enamel and lacquer jobs got done? Hmm?

As for dumping "that garbage" in my gun:

008.jpg

This was shot with PPG's single stage DCC for the first three coats, then shot again with the DCC mixed with DCU in a 1:1 ratio, RTS for another three.

008.jpg

do you have a pic of the jeep where we can see the differance? i bet you could blend into the door and hood and make it look better at least. have you ever done blending? i hate it a full paint job is a lot easier to get looking good but in the real world blending is great.

+1 most painters would blend, esp. on older vehicles. most I know do it that way

do you have a pic of the jeep where we can see the differance? i bet you could blend into the door and hood and make it look better at least. have you ever done blending? i hate it a full paint job is a lot easier to get looking good but in the real world blending is great.

I will take some pics tomorrow. I did end up bolting on the rocker, and fender flares today etc.

And how do you think the old single stage enamel and lacquer jobs got done? Hmm?

As for dumping "that garbage" in my gun:

View attachment 158522

This was shot with PPG's single stage DCC for the first three coats, then shot again with the DCC mixed with DCU in a 1:1 ratio, RTS for another three.

So I assume you just had a few spots to fix on it and painted the fender? Blended it in so it would match? :^o And since the topic was a panel repair DCC would have been your first choice to repair and blend within the same panel right? Repairs with single stage vs BC/CC don't compare even you know that. Looks great for single stage... although I stopped using it about 10+ years ago except for school buses and UPS trucks.

So I assume you just had a few spots to fix on it and painted the fender? Blended it in so it would match? :^o And since the topic was a panel repair DCC would have been your first choice to repair and blend within the same panel right? Repairs with single stage vs BC/CC don't compare even you know that. Looks great for single stage... although I stopped using it about 10+ years ago except for school buses and UPS trucks.

No, you brought single stage into as "garbage" in your gun. What I asked you was how do you think the old single stage enamel and lacquer spot ins got done? Instead you come back at me, not with an answer as to how, but a back handed comment "as even I know that." What the f***?

Ladies and gentleman, we obviously have yet another legend within his own mind when he can call and question the skills of others without knowing the history and the background of the person he's calling out. Obviously better at this than the rest of us, so be careful around him.

May be the old school way, but you can blend single stages. And by the way, if the Chevy ever gets damaged, it will be seeing a blend of DCC and DCU mix, again. blended for the spot repair. I took that into consideration before I painted it. Ease of repair after the fact in case the owner get's negligent or someone around him decides to do so. Guess I just know how to use the gun and my material to get it there.

How do I think they were done? I think they were blended the best possible way they could be. It isn't standard or common practice to do so but if you say so well then.. OK!

Do I think DCC is garbage? YUP. Would I put it on a restoration? NOPE. I will leave those jobs to you. And as far as calling someones skills into question... was it not YOU who pm'd me a few months ago making fun of someone on a Auto Body question they had? Bet you forgot that was me huh?

Ok so here is what all the excitement has been about...

When you see the dent in the repaired fender dont get all excited the owner didn't want the dents removed. So I wasnt going to spend the time doing them.

Passenger fender is original color. Drivers fender and hood repainted.

Comp1522.jpg

Comp1520.jpg

Comp1521.jpg

Hard to tell with pictures (never know how they change the color) looks a bit yellow to me. I wouldn't worry about the color match if painting over dents. It's pretty obvious its a quick job.

The big thing was their original hood was caved in, so mainly it was just to replace the hood. They also had 2 spots where the paint chipped and began to rust on the fender; so the reason for repaint on fender. The just wanted to keep it from rusting and replace hood, other dents werent on their list.
This is the reason I tried the cheap route because they didnt want to put any money into it. But I am a perfectionist and am not happy with it myself. :pale: I did ok with the vinyl......lol

oneway71, I just painted a Caliber with the same paint code this morning. I think there is 3 different variants for this color for PPG, and I always use the lighter formula, and even tint it a little bit more with some white toner.

This piticular white can be a bastard some times. You should try to buff out the adjacent panels, that might help too. The paint on the rest of the Jeep looks pretty dead.

-
Back