Universal joint questions

-

DARTLARRY

Reaction score
I know that there are different size cups for U joints. Is there also different length U joints? I mean the distance across the U joint, I am trying to install a new U joint on an 8 3/4 and the cups are 1/4" from the edge of the yoke. This doesn't seem right. Maybe someone here can help me find the right U joint. Thanks

A little more info might help. Is the rear and driveshaft original to the car? Rear swapped at some point?

Tell us more.

The rear end is an A body 8 3/4". I just recently replaced the center unit, I don't know what the new center unit came out of. Before I swapped the center unit the U joint fit fine, this different center unit must have a wider yoke. The u joint that I have now doesn't stretch across the yoke. It comes up short on the ends.

yes, there are 2 different size u-joints. do you still have your old center section? You may be able to swap yokes if the splines are the same.....

Or get a combination U joint. It will fit your DS shaft one way and fit the yoke the other way, 2 different lengths.

Or get a combination U joint. It will fit your DS shaft one way and fit the yoke the other way, 2 different lengths.

So basically what you are saying is that he needs a universal universal joint.... LOL! :D

Why not find the other (right) size yoke for the u-joint axle connection and swap it out?

Do yourself a favor and do some measuring. Refer to this chart.

Attachments

• U-joints.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 121
-
Back