Unknown Brown Wire with Ring Terminal on 66 Barracuda

-

66fyssh

Don't Stop Believin'
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
When I replaced my carpet, I found a brown wire coming down between the firewall and the heater on the passenger side of my 66 Barracuda. It's around 16 gauge and has what appears to be a factory ring terminal.

Any idea what it might be for? I looked over the wiring diagrams but don't see what it might be for. All my heater controls seem to work well. All lights work except for backup lights (there is no switch on the floor shifter). And there is no neutral safety switch connected.

I'm stumped as to what a brown wire with a ring terminal would be for.

Any ideas! Thanks!

Sounds like a ground wire for the blower motor that typically is screwed to the body under the passenger kick panel.

Here's a couple of pictures. Thanks for your help!!!!

Attachments

• Brown Wire.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 96
  • brown wire connector.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 103
I tend to agree with the ground thing.

Looks like my 69.

The wire was y-ed at the support bracket for the firewewall heater core pipes to the heater box, then continued on to a screw to the body under the passenger kick panel. The ground for the console shift indicator lamp also fastened there.

I would sure trace it to be sure. It would suck if you grounded it and it's a power wire.

Turn the ignition on and lick it. If it don't shock you, you should be ok....

Thanks!!

The wire is long enough to get to the passenger kick panel for sure. The car didn't have any wires coming from the console...I'll have to find the harness sometime so I can get the neutral safety switch, reverse lights, and the shifter indicator light working.

I tried to trace it, but it just kinda disappears behind the blower. I'll have another look before grounding!!!

Thanks again!!!!!

Not a 66 but....

Here is what it looked like.

Not a 66 but....

Here is what it looked like.

Awesome, thanks!

I looked over the two wiring diagrams but since the heater works OK, I didn't think it could be from the heater.

If the wire Y's then it must be getting enough ground from the other side.

I'll run it behind the passenger side kick panel and ground it and see what happens!!!!

Awesome, thanks!

I looked over the two wiring diagrams but since the heater works OK, I didn't think it could be from the heater.

If the wire Y's then it must be getting enough ground from the other side.

I'll run it behind the passenger side kick panel and ground it and see what happens!!!!

Then like some other wise folks said put a meter on it and check it first.

-
Back