Unknown converter

-

Chuck Nantz

Reaction score
Does anyone recognize a brand of this torque converter?

C48EA198-3A33-40D2-8A8C-8128313A8877.jpeg

6882DD51-934C-4B3C-83EA-888289ACD548.jpeg

4F2D601E-2DB3-4C70-9CEE-26D08D98571A.jpeg

Wish I could help Chuck, but a quick surf of the internet didn't help me at all. There's no doubt that it's a high stall, whose I don't know. I have a feeling that the two numbers shown are probably: one a part number and perhaps the other a serial number.
Stall wise, from the photo, my guess is it could be a converter with a stall of anywhere from 4500 up. Until a competent performance converter builder opens it up and looks at vane angle on the pump, vane angle on the stator, and other areas, it's a guess as to what the converter was built to stall at.
If the initial purpose of the converter was for a race car, was it built for a car where they used a mid plate? If it was, it may not work in your application without the proper sized plate, and fitting in your car could be an issue. It may also have been built for a specific engine displacement/cam/intake/carb/race application and won't work worth a damn in your car.
As I've said in previous posts, I'm not a fan of any kind of used converters as you don't really know what you've bought, and the only way to find out what it's like inside is to have it opened. It might have a lot of life left in it, or it might not. Performance converters typically have a hard life. Having worked in the industry, I've seen a lot of used junk nicely painted, and the hub well polished. We used to call them the "rattle can rebuild".
That being said though, again from the photos, at one time it might have been an expensive converter and may be worth the time and money to send it to one of the performance converter companies and see what it is like inside and find out what they think the stall might be.
Bottom line is it's your money that you're spending.
Just my two bits worth.

Wish I could help Chuck, but a quick surf of the internet didn't help me at all. There's no doubt that it's a high stall, whose I don't know. I have a feeling that the two numbers shown are probably: one a part number and perhaps the other a serial number.
Stall wise, from the photo, my guess is it could be a converter with a stall of anywhere from 4500 up. Until a competent performance converter builder opens it up and looks at vane angle on the pump, vane angle on the stator, and other areas, it's a guess as to what the converter was built to stall at.
If the initial purpose of the converter was for a race car, was it built for a car where they used a mid plate? If it was, it may not work in your application without the proper sized plate, and fitting in your car could be an issue. It may also have been built for a specific engine displacement/cam/intake/carb/race application and won't work worth a damn in your car.
As I've said in previous posts, I'm not a fan of any kind of used converters as you don't really know what you've bought, and the only way to find out what it's like inside is to have it opened. It might have a lot of life left in it, or it might not. Performance converters typically have a hard life. Having worked in the industry, I've seen a lot of used junk nicely painted, and the hub well polished. We used to call them the "rattle can rebuild".
That being said though, again from the photos, at one time it might have been an expensive converter and may be worth the time and money to send it to one of the performance converter companies and see what it is like inside and find out what they think the stall might be.
Bottom line is it's your money that you're spending.
Just my two bits worth.
I made an offer but no dice yet.

I made an offer but no dice yet.
If the seller is the original owner, he should be able to tell you everything about the converter. If not, my question to him would then would be: How many owners has it had?
I see the price listed on the converter and if he isn't able to give me any information on it, to me it isn't worth much at all.
JMHO

I agree 100 percent. He is not the original owner and he knows nothing about either of them. He bought a truck load of stuff and they happened to be there. I made an offer that would be a safe price but he didn’t accept as of now. So we will see. Not quite ready for a converter yet. But if the price was right I wouldn’t pass up a deal.

I'd pass on it. Too many unknowns.
Converters aren't that expensive new.
You'll be miles ahead if you get one made specific to your vehicle.
Got mine custom for the 727/360 in Demon. It was under 400 to my door.
Feels like a slingshot.

I would pass on it too. As the others said too many unknowns. I learned years ago the hard way not to take guys word on converters and lost $150. It looked good on the outside but was full of garbage. Luckily I had it checked out before I put it in a good transmission

-
Back