Unlock car with cell phone

-

speedyb-cc

speedyb
Reaction score
I got this e=mail the other day pretty useful info,
FIRST
The Emergency Number worldwide for Mobiles is 112. If you find yourself out of the coverage area of your mobile; network and there is an emergency, dial 112 and
the mobile will search any existing network to establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112 can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. Try it out.

SECOND
Have you locked your keys in the car? Does your car have remote keyless entry? This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone: If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone. Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away, and if you can reach someone who has the other 'remote' for your car, you can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: It works fine! I tried it out and it unlocked my car over a cell phone!

THIRD
Hidden Battery Power
Imagine your cell battery is very low. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your cell will restart with this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This
reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

FOURTH
How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?
To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone: * # 0 6 # A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. When your phone get stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the SIM card, your phone will be totally useless. You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either. If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.

And Finally....

FIFTH
Free Directory Service for Cells.

Cell phone companies are charging us $1.00 to $1.75 or more for 411 information calls when they don't have to. Most of us do not carry a telephone directory in our vehicle, which makes this situation even more of a problem. When you need to use the 411 information option, simply dial...(800) FREE 411, or (800) 373-3411 without incurring any charge at all. Program this into your cell phone now.
Try them out
Bruce

Bruce, Thanks for the great tips. Programmed the info # into my cell and tried the unlocking trick over the phone. It worked !!! :cheers::cheers:

70 Duster, Just to let you know, we tried the unlocking trick with the cell phone and it worked. Only 100' away or so. Going to try it again tomorrow from about 8 miles. Let you know......

I'm an FCC licensed radio tech and have a hard time believing the unlocking feature can work because my understanding is the key fob is a radio transmitter utilizing different sub-audible tones to activate a certain function such as the door unlock, trunk unlock, and emergency horn. RF waves cannot be transmitted over the air through a cell phones audio system.

I searched www.snopes.com to see what it had to say. Here is the article

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/cellphones.asp

Sorry brother Speedy but I think you just got one of those fun e-mails that people with too much time on their hands make up.:-\"

70 Duster, Just to let you know, we tried the unlocking trick with the cell phone and it worked. Only 100' away or so. Going to try it again tomorrow from about 8 miles. Let you know......

100' isn't very far. My keyfob will do that on it's own. Let us know what happens tomorrow.

Maranatha Bruce. I understood that it was for people who have locked their keys in their car. What would that make any difference anyway if the keys were in the car or at home. Either way you couldn't push the unlock button near the car which is the only possible way to activate the system. Again I stand by my comment that this CANNOT work because key fobs transmit an RF signal on a certain preprogrammed frequency with a sub-audible tone encoded (different tones for different functions i.e. Unlock, Lock, trunk release, sound horn, etc). The problem is that the receiver in the car which works like an am-fm receiver tuned to the same frequency as the key fob has to receive a RF transmitted signal with the sub-audible tone. The receiving phone cannot reproduce the RF transmitted frequency so therefore it won't activate the receiver in the car. It only produces AF (audio frequency) tones or signals whether digital or analog.

It's not that I don't want to use it Bruce. It would be a handy function if possible. It's that I say it cannot work. Try it and you'll see it won't work.

If you would like to check out my credentials as a General class FCC licensed radio technician send me a pm and I'll provide you my call sign and where to look it up. I would put it here but I don't want everybody in the world knowing who I am and the link shows exactly where I live down to the degree.

Tracy

100' isn't very far. My keyfob will do that on it's own. Let us know what happens tomorrow.

Fishy & Bruce, Tested the cell phone unlock trick this morning at 8 miles away. Nothing,,,,NADA

Back to MOPARS....they're more fun.

yea, i've seen this one too, also, all those numbers and codes, only work for some phones and some carriers. i have a motorola razr v3c, hooked up telus, and none of those functions work.

Sorry for the false post, couldn't test it so I didn't know if it would work. Thanks for all the info Fishy, never doubted your credentials, just thought someone on the board said it worked.
Bruce

Hey, don't feel bad about posting it. You never know. It gave me something to do yesterday. If someone doesn't want to bother with it, there are several other posts to read instead.

Sorry for the false post, couldn't test it so I didn't know if it would work. Thanks for all the info Fishy, never doubted your credentials, just thought someone on the board said it worked.
Bruce

No big deal Bruce. We all get these e-mails that go around and most of the time there false but some do work. That's why I always look them up to be sure. With this one I was sure it couldn't work because I know radio telecommunications well. Didn't mean to sound like a know-it-all either.

Everybody have a good day. Tracy

-
Back