Unlock frozen engine

-

moparspares

Reaction score
I want to remove the bell housing on this Gen1 Hemi but its stuck solid. Need to spin to get to all the flywheel nuts. I removed all the plugs today and they looked pretty good except cylinder 1 which was rusty and was the most difficult to remove so I would say that has had water in that cylinder.

Any recommendations on what I should soak the bores with to try and free it up or any other handy tips.

industrial.jpg

industrial1.jpg

I used Marvel Mystery Oil freeing up my 340, I turned the motor with the pistons facing up, and dumped a puddle on the pistons until it covered the tops of each one and let it sit, then I flipped the motor and did the other side the same way. I’ve also heard trans fluid, kerosene, diesel fuel, Seafoam, and other sauces, but I had the MMO around so I used that. After a couple weeks of doing that I tapped on the top of each piston, and the ones that were loose I either pulled if I could, or unbolted from the crank until they were all loose.

Pull the heads off of it so you can get to the pistons. Soak them like mentioned above, then get a block of wood that will fit down in the cylinders on top of the pistons and whack it with a hammer.

If that cylinder is really rusty, fill it with Evaporust first & let it soak for a couple days, then dump that & repeat with fresh for another couple days. Blow it out then put MMO or Stabil Fogging oil in there, let soak, add a little compressed air like You're leak-down testing. Chances are all the cyls. are compromised some, I'd do 'em all. I had to do all 6 on the 170 I pulled out of a '62 Valli that hadn't turned in decades.
Hopefully You won't have to pull the heads at this point, but You may, it's just a fact of life with these things sometimes. Valves could be seized in guides, soak them & tap the rockers with hammer & block to see if they bounce/move. Good luck with it!!

-
Back