Unsolicited advice

-

RedScampi

Reaction score
Hey guys, Like everyone else I am on a tight budget but getting the exhaust right is very important to me. Muffler clamps just don't cut it in my opinion. I went to my local muffler shop and got a written quote for a headers back installation for me, 2-1/2 pipe with an X pipe and Spintek mufflers for $525 plus tax. This is with the headers already on the car and may not include exhaust tips. My point is that for a little more than what some exhaust kits will cost, especially when you factor in shipping and the aggravation of trying to do it yourself, you might be able to get a professionaly installed system with quality welds that you will be way happier with in the long run, not to mention a warranty too! Admittedly, I have taken more than one car to this guy and he is a hot rodder to boot. He told me that he could get more than 700 for the work he quoted me but he wants my business. In these lean times it might be worth seeing if you could negotiate a decent price at your local shop. If you are comfortable welding your own exhaust up and have the facilities though, then go for it! Like I said, this is completely unsolicited but I thought some of you might be interested.

Good Advice.

Even $700 isn't all that bad when you consider a decent exhaust will cost between $400 and $600. So with labor and not having the headache of installing!

Though $525 looks like an even better deal!

I was thinking of doing that with my car too.

(When it is finally done!)

Summit kit- $250
Lincoln welder- $350

Hands down one of the best investments you can make is a welder- Learn it and love it! Plus you can make cash on the side fixing stuff for people.

The Summit mandrel bent kit is a steal even if you throw the mufflers away (or simply unload them on craigslist)

wow you guy's get hit hard for custom dual exhaust! our guy down here at jim's discount muffler here in central florida starts at 400$ with standard turbo mufflers ad a few for tips or diffrent mufflers and the work is top notch!!! :cheers: if your in the area get a hold of me and i'll get ya hooked up :burnout:

We do run 500-700 for good 2.5" pipe with an x pipe, but I did install a TTI system on a car and it took 4 hours of my labor just to get it to fit DECENT. Then it leaked out of all the clamped areas and had to have it welded anyway. The cost of living is higher out here and these prices reflect the average cost. I have seen duals done for less, but the job was far from nice.

There are spots on the TTi stuff that they acknowledge should be welded, but they give you clamps to hold it together until you get to the muffler shop.

I always have those multi piece sections welded together anyway.

I wouldn't put anything on my car that wasn't mandrel bent. Even the OEMs are finally starting to figure that one out.

redfastback: How much of the time was spent getting the headers to line up with the rest of the exhaust? That was a serious PITA on mine, and then the X-pipe was too wide to match up to the adapters. I ended up ratchet strapping the front "legs" of the X to get it narrow enough.

Exhaust prices are getting expensive these days. I have a friend who owns a local exhaust shop and I got my duals done all the way back with magnaflows for $300. Its great when you have friends with their own shops! If I didn't have this option I would for sure be welding up my own stuff.

There are spots on the TTi stuff that they acknowledge should be welded, but they give you clamps to hold it together until you get to the muffler shop.

I always have those multi piece sections welded together anyway.

I wouldn't put anything on my car that wasn't mandrel bent. Even the OEMs are finally starting to figure that one out.

redfastback: How much of the time was spent getting the headers to line up with the rest of the exhaust? That was a serious PITA on mine, and then the X-pipe was too wide to match up to the adapters. I ended up ratchet strapping the front "legs" of the X to get it narrow enough.

The x-pipe wasn't too bad. The slip fit pieces before the x were the problem. The main problem is how it was bent over the rear axle and nailing the gas tank. This was on a 66 charger with factory spring location, gas tank, etc. The exhaust shop ended up cutting them so the bend at the top over the rear axle was centered. The other thing was that the ends stuck out too far past the bumper.

Sawzall fixes that- Better too long than too short.

These had turndowns. The front portion by the muffler had to be cut so they were at the correct length at the valance. The muffler shop finished it all and welded everything.

Refer to my TTI installation thread in the exhaust section.... I had the incorrect header reducers sent to me and I too had to cut back my pipes at the muffler so it all fit. Steve also mentioned it was a `66 Charger, not an A Body.

My opinion? TTI's are over-priced by about $500 for all the installation headaches. I too had to fight with the X-Pipe merging into the header collectors. ONCE THEY'RE IN, they fit great.

Like I posted in the above thread, there HAS to be a middle ground between the el-cheapo systems out there, and the high-end stuff. :angry7:

-
Back