Update: 340 Swing

-

340 swing

340swing
Reaction score
Took it for a spin today, ran good need to get a alignment.

IMG_9904.jpg

IMG_9905.jpg

IMG_9906.jpg

IMG_9907.jpg

IMG_9908.jpg

what specs u looking to set it to? i just did an alignment on my 68 dart and the stock specs suck! they wanted like .50* caster, so thats why she was so squirly. i put it up to 3.5*. just a thot

Sweet looking Swinger! The fact that you can still cruise with green trees and grass around has me jealous. Its is nice for November up North here, but not cruising weather like you have.

Thanks for all the kind words. I hope to take it out a few more times before the snow starts. I have to replace the starter I got stuck on the road sunday it got hot and would not start. I ordered a high torque mini starter. as for the alignment I was going to go with stock spec's unless there is something better out there. That won't wear the tires off.

the things that wear tires are camber and toe . caster just help with strieght ahead and streeing wheel return i like camber at 0 or 1/4 to 1/2 neg. with toe at 1/16 to 1/8 toed in. caster on power steering can set higher if posable. like moparkid said higher caster will make the car drive strieghter. on non power cars low caster helps with steering wheel return . there not a lot of adjustment with keeping camber close to 0 . hope that helps i have some old alignment spec. books if you want fac. spec,s just let me know als

the things that wear tires are camber and toe . caster just help with strieght ahead and streeing wheel return i like camber at 0 or 1/4 to 1/2 neg. with toe at 1/16 to 1/8 toed in. caster on power steering can set higher if posable. like moparkid said higher caster will make the car drive strieghter. on non power cars low caster helps with steering wheel return . there not a lot of adjustment with keeping camber close to 0 . hope that helps i have some old alignment spec. books if you want fac. spec,s just let me know als

so true! it took me awhile of messing with it to get 4.0* caster and 0*camber. toed it in a little to. it drives so much better than the stock settings! and its a manual steering car with 7" tires up front.

Thanks for the help, I might do the alinement myself. I do have access to a alinement rack. The steering wheel is off center and it is splined at the steering box and steering wheel. The bottom spoke sits at about 4 o-clock and it should be at 6. It seems like too much to fix with the tie rods. but the shaft and wheel have flat spots on the spline. Can any of these be adjusted?

The previous toe-ins moved the wheel off center. Move it down there; check for worn parts. As an old front end tech- we would never take the time to pull the wheel.
Problem underneath.

And as you said- who is going to spend the time, trying to grind the flat off?
Look under the car; find the slop/ wrong alignment.

Thanks for the help, I might do the alinement myself. I do have access to a alinement rack. The steering wheel is off center and it is splined at the steering box and steering wheel. The bottom spoke sits at about 4 o-clock and it should be at 6. It seems like too much to fix with the tie rods. but the shaft and wheel have flat spots on the spline. Can any of these be adjusted?

Brian, each spline had a notch in it for aligning them (one on the steering box, one on the steering column were the wheel bolts up.). They need to both point straight up.

Hard to geuss but center gear box count turns from left to right then right to left. spilt in haft. box is now in the center.where is wheel?can only go on one way.check to see if sleves are close to the same leighth as far as the space in the sleve. is this stuff all o/e to the car?

The steering wheel and the coupler can only go one way mine have flat spots in the spline but the wheel is pretty far off. All the front end parts are new. The pitman arm is the only part I didn't change, there is no play but it is splined. is it adjustable or does that have a flat also? I can probably get it straight with the tie rods but i'm afraid they will be all to one side.

-
Back