Update on my '66Valiant

-

kyler

Reaction score
I feel like I've been a bad member since I haven't posted anything but questions, so here is a little bit of what I've done to my car since I bought it January 4th of this year.

First off, for those of you that don't know the story, I bought this car from the third owner who had only had it 14 months. He got it for free from the second owner and drove it every day. While he had it, it lived outside in the Pacific Northwest, and by the time I got to it the carpets were soaked and it was a little wet... but still little rust! So that is good. Until late 2014 it lived in a garage all it's life and was originally sold in Seattle to a Lenore Harney. She was 70 when she bought it and drove it until she was 90 when she gave it to her niece who was 60 and also drove it until she was about 90. Years down the road it ended up in a garage and one of the grand kids was interested enough to change the fluids and license it, but from there it sat until Jim bought it. I bought it a year later. And now we are here.

The first thing I did was change all the fluids, belts, and brake components. That being said, I bought it and drove the 50 miles home listening to the original radio. Not one part didn't work. It came with the magnetic plastic Jesus that Lenore put there when she bought the car and every license plate that had ever been on it was in the trunk, and so were the bumper guards... and all bent up. Anyway, lets get to the good stuff.

I bought new tires for it because I had no clue how old the old ones were and she continues to drive like a dream. I changed the u-joints, lubed the chassis everywhere that we could, and changed the tranny fluid as well as added a fresh filter. I found a '66 Valiant in a wrecking yard and grabbed a beautiful bumper, new dome light, passenger mirror, and defroster knob-cap. After putting that all in, my car was pretty much complete!

New heater core, resealed window gaskets, and additionally sealing components on the windshield wipers along with trunk sealing has made it water tight, and about six hours of touch-up brushing has made the old paint look good. The interior was basically perfect except the carpet and the seat covers, so the carpet was replaced and the covers are next!

I have also added keyless entry, aftermarket modern headlights (with a cool mini driving light), and a Bluetooth stereo with hands-free calling and all the options. I've put 3k miles on it since I've had it and been as far south as Auburn and as far north as Port Angeles. She is a good car and I drive her as often as possible.

I think that is most everything... I also added a cool Nixon Now 1968 Bumper sticker. I'd love to keep talking about it, but I don't know what else to say!

Thanks for reading!

FABO.jpg

FABO-2.jpg

FABO-3.jpg

FABO-4.jpg

FABO-5.jpg

FABO-6.jpg

FABO-7.jpg

FABO-8.jpg

FABO-9.jpg

FABO-10.jpg

Thanks! It's been good to me so far! I drive the heck out of it! I am actually looking at getting a Dakota Digital cruise control kit and building am inside-trunk A/C system that would leave my dash as is. I would have all the amenities of a modern car!
That's a clean little car!! Good score and good luck with it!

Good looking more door 66 Valiant 200. Drive on, my friend & enjoy it.

-
Back