update on spring flip and pinion angle

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
well i have things mocked up right now just getting a idea of whats it going to do or be at...and i have a ??? for you on the pinion angle...now i got the mounts done and installed the springs and removed the shims (5deg) to get a base line...i remove the driveshaft to get a good reading.....i sled under as far as i could and put the angle finder on the tail of the trans and got 87deg to the right on the finder and then put it on the rearend where you bolt the ujoint and got 85 deg to the left with the shims out....now i do the math i get +2deg right....so i want somewhere around 5/7 down so i cut the perch off and roll the rear down to - 8/9 im i right????-8/9 will give me a -6/7 if im am right.....i just want to makesure before i do this...i will have pic aswell...oh by the way the car looks good with the way it sits in the back now its about 1" down from before an is sweet...thanks

Your pinion angle needs to be in relationship to the driveline and not in relationship with ground. With the car sitting on the tires run a string from the trans to the pinion. Then adjust the pinion up or down to get the 5 deg angle from the vertical surface of the pinion flange to the horizontal string.

Chuck

Get the rear yoke vertical and take a long socket that is constant diameter and set it in the yoke saddle. Put the angle finder on that. Try to not use any other location.

The side of the car you are on makes a difference on your left/right of zero when using the finder. On the trans, if it was to the right of zero when on the drivers side it pointing up or +3*. Looking from pass side it would be down or -3*

Take the readings looking at the finder from the same side.

Please change your terms to it's pointing up or down, not right/left.

Here are the two number for your pinion if you want total 4* down pinion angle:

If the trans output is pointing UP 3*, you need the pinion pointing DOWN 7*

If the trans output is pointing DOWN 3*, you need the pinion pointing DOWN 1*

http://www.rosslertrans.com/Pinion Angle.htm

Pinon2.jpg

crackback i think mines is in the line of ex. #2 trans down and rear up and im going from the driverside each time........hope this helps some...

Why are you worried about where the pinion is if you are going to cut off the perches and reset it????

From what you wrote, the pinion is pointing up or down 5* I can't figure out which way because you say it at 85* and pointing up, yet your description shows the exact opposite re: pointer to the right of zero.

Here's a quick one. If the pinion is actually pointing UP 5* put the 5* shim with the fat side to rear and you'll be at zero on the pinion and a 3* down angle IF, your output angle of 3* down is correct.

Do the opposite if the pinion is DOWN 5*, put the 5* shim in with the fat side towards the front and you'll be at zero on the pinion and a 3* down angle.

Otherwise, buzz the damn perches off, get the pinion set with it POINTING DOWN 1* and you'll have your 4* angle

-
Back