Update the hood...Paint or Wrap ???

-

Jonny Shark

Banned
Reaction score
Hi guys !!

I want to update my Duster hood to flat black...I know i can just paint the hood...but I friend of mine told me that a good option is wrap the hood with 3M vinyl in some body shop... did you guys see something like that before"?...I saw a bunch of pictures and the result looks great...but I don`t know if its a big deal or not..

Thanks

Jhonny

If the hood is straight a wrap is an economical option and it doesn't harm the paint underneath. I was at SEMA last year and it seems about 40% of the rides there on display had been wrapped or parts of them had been... It very hard to tell when it's done properly. Go for it! Get a quote from reputable shop. Let us know.

3M 1080 (what I would recommed) comes in 60", they also offer matte, semi gloss and gloss. not sure what the material goes for in the US, but here prices might go from $300 to $500.
I think it would look good on your car

Hi Jcox68rt and 2darts,

Thanks for share your opnion guys... I`m still doing a research about that in Ohio...for wihile the best proices I found:

To wrap the hood: $195,00 (I`m waiting the answer to know if it`s a 3M or not).
To Paint the Hood: $895,00 (Wow $895,00 only to paint the hood?... For me it`very expensive...I`m sure with this value if I prefer to paint I can to buy the prime the paint with couple hundreds and do the job in my garage...)

I`ll let you knows the result guys...I`ll post pictures soon.

best regards.

Jhonny

I do vinyl wraps for a living. That said, the wrap will only look as good as the surface beneath it so if your hood is in good shape and smooth then go for the wrap. $195 installed is a good price for the 3M 1080 Matte Black material and if there are no hood scoops involved.
You can removed it years later without harming the finish beneath (assuming it is a good quality paint job). Just make sure you get it very warm before trying to remove it and it will come off clean.

-Doug
www.MobileCustoms.com

Approximately half of what you are paying for is the labor and the other half for the paint/supplies/etc anywhere you go.

If you are not building a show car...

...you can probably go to some type of collision shop chain (a step up from Maaco) for less than the $900.

...Maaco around me would charge about $400 for the job, and if you prep it right you would get something presentable.

...you might do a bit better going on Craigslist to find someone to paint your hood. I can hear the laughing now but I do have a good Craigslist paint story.

Or personally...
I would try it myself using a paint kit from Summit Racing or Eastwood, seems like you could do it for around $100 so even if you had to do it twice you would come out a head and learn something in the process.

Paul

I wanted to add one more thing regarding if you decide to use a wrap vinyl for this job:

I am a huge fan of 3M and use it almost exclusively but for a matte black finish, I actually prefer the Rapid Air Release Matte Black made by Oracal. It's finish is not quite as chalky flat and thus much easier to keep clean and looking good. It is also a very good material and very forgiving to install.
Wish I was closer to ya, I'd be glad to help ya out!

-
Back