updated steering linkage 64 barracuda

-

mar-tay

Reaction score
I am in the process of putting my 64 barracuda together and have everything for the front end but the steering linkage. I've seen that you should update the tie rods to a larger size but no one seems to have them for a 64, will 67 work? As well the pitman/idler arm seem kind of weak looking, are there updates for those too? Thanks!

Just rebuild the steering gearbox and check for worn parts is all that is really needed.

I've heard of people using C-body tie rods but have never tried that myself and try to use moog Idler and pitman arms .

You shouldn't use the word "update" when talking about cars. It sounds like one of those hgtv buzzwords. When talking cars use terms like upgraded heavy duty tie rods and sleeves. The c-body setup is not needed on 95% of old mopars. I would not bother with them unless I was replacing all 4 tie rods due to wear.

If you are serious about changing to larger tie rods you need all 4 tie rods and the adjusting sleeve that connects them. I believe the car you will tell the part store that you need tie rods for is a 1975 chrysler new yorker. That should get you 11/16" tie rods. You can also buy them from a number of online vendors such as firm feel or espo. The keyword you are wanting to use is 11/16" mopar tie rod.

On rebuilding gearbox, at this age it requires different treatment: oversize balls new grooves. I just looked for a rebuilder that had done early A's boxes and used them at a total cost of 210 dollars. But Lee Manufacturing could handle any rebuild desired IMHO, http://lee-powersteering.com/

-
Back