Updating Air Conditioning 1970 Duster

-

Justinhb

Reaction score
Hi All,

First, just a shout out to everyone here, I am new to the forum and have never had such a nice welcome, so thank you FABO! Also, forgive any typos, I am doing this on my phone...lol.

I am planning on updating the AC in my new (to me) factory AC equipped '70 Duster. I believe I am going to go with a Vintage Air builders kit with AC, heat, and defrost (maybe the compac, gen II, etc.).

In doing the research, I know that there is no kit for this car, and that the blower motor hole in the firewall is different than the heat only cars. In the 17 pages in this forum I've gotten through though, I haven't seen anyone propose what I have in mind, so I thought I would put it out there...

What I am thinking about doing is pulling the existing AC/Heater box, then separating (and using) the blower motor case that protrudes through the firewall as the AC hose "grommet" if you will (maybe dropping the hoses out the bottom, etc.) so I don't have to fab up a weird looking plate. My thought is it would look factory-ish and be the right size, etc.

Thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Justin

Hi All,

First, just a shout out to everyone here, I am new to the forum and have never had such a nice welcome, so thank you FABO! Also, forgive any typos, I am doing this on my phone...lol.

I am planning on updating the AC in my new (to me) factory AC equipped '70 Duster. I believe I am going to go with a Vintage Air builders kit with AC, heat, and defrost (maybe the compac, gen II, etc.).

In doing the research, I know that there is no kit for this car, and that the blower motor hole in the firewall is different than the heat only cars. In the 17 pages in this forum I've gotten through though, I haven't seen anyone propose what I have in mind, so I thought I would put it out there...

What I am thinking about doing is pulling the existing AC/Heater box, then separating (and using) the blower motor case that protrudes through the firewall as the AC hose "grommet" if you will (maybe dropping the hoses out the bottom, etc.) so I don't have to fab up a weird looking plate. My thought is it would look factory-ish and be the right size, etc.

Thoughts or ideas are appreciated!

Justin
I am working on putting a stock ac in to my 70 duster that was a heater only car.
I had to open up the hole for the heater/fan motor, add the holes for the ac hoses, drain hose & mountning studs.
I have seen kits to convert B bodys to a newer type rotary compressor.
It seams like it would be practical do it on an A body with the compressior brackets and hoses to convert to stock fittings.
If you are thinking of selling any of your stock parts let me know & if you need a stock heater I have one. also the controls are all choke cable type with the heater & your ac is vacuum with a different dash bezel. Do you have the rally

I have a 67 Dart. This is what I did with a new Vintage Air Gen 4. I have an ac car and the new box barely fit under the dash to make all the connections work. There was also no kit for my car. Good luck. Let me know if you have any question.

Cheers!
476680D6-B8A5-446C-A90D-422F0038E3DC.jpeg

F71BBF7B-827B-4DF1-85DF-B3A6F80408C1.jpeg

2D96A3EC-EBC9-48A4-B00F-A6015AC6DF34.jpeg

17C8CFFB-5DEF-4111-A8DE-3626BE138373.jpeg

12C6F041-CA41-4BB6-A8C7-57B39CC7D58A.jpeg

23E58011-A1BF-425A-8F54-8755C31F4B31.jpeg

7DB84081-0C31-4425-A92D-58FAC47559FE.jpeg

-
Back