Upgrade fuel system

-

VSTwister

Reaction score
I want to upgrade and restore my fuel system to new on my '71 Scamp. It needs it badly. I have a Holley 4bbl 1850 on the 318, and have been running it with the original 5/16" line adapted up to 3/8" to fit the carb hookup. Since I need to redo the whole system, I want to run 3/8" throughout from tank to carb. What all do I need to make this happen? Obviously the sending unit and fuel pump will need to be 3/8", but where exactly can I find these parts for the most reasonable prices? I just want to run this for now as a decent street crusier with a little bit of 4bbl carb pep. But there are some forks in the road that I'm running into.

Fuel tank: which type? I've been finding that there are two types of vapor/vented tanks for the '71 years. (4 and 1?) Does it really matter which I have or is that just for emissions that were coming about in the early '70's?

Fuel pump: best to go with stock type? mechanical or electrical? at engine or at tank? again I just want to get this for some typical street driving right now, no fancy stuff. (Someday when I rebuild or drop in a new engine....) I've been looking up some that have higher psi but I believe that's just for serious racing and then I'd also need a regulator to drop the pressure down.

Anything else I'm missing? Jeez, I figured this would be a relatively simple job but after looking up pricing on various fuel system parts there's more options than I realized.

Thanks!

Dear TM, As far as the sending unit is concerned you can go to ebay (oh the horror) and search "mopar sending unit". I use a high volume mechanical pump on my 383 with a 750 double pumper with no concerns what so ever other than I had to add a pressure regulator set at 6-7 PSI. But then you got to consider that if you're only going to a mild build up do you even need to spend the money for a 3/8" fuel system. I say no, not required and stick with the 5/16" but that's just my opinion.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Well no, there's no real need for it now but there will be in the hopefully-not-so-distant future, so I'm just trying to prepare ahead of time and save time and money by doing it now.

Also, I do have some issues in that the gas tank leaks when I fill it. So I gotta figure out what's going on there, it might be the tank itself or just seals. Either way, the system (in my opinion) could use freshening up since it's also all original and the tank no doubt needs cleaned out if not entirely replaced.

Thanks!

-
Back