Upgrade to 10 inch drums question

-

Reddartowner

UCF Alumni....Go Knights!
Reaction score
I have a '68 Dart with an 8-3/4 rear with 9 inch drums. The rear needs to be pulled for an overhaul anyway, so I was considering upgrading to 10 inch drums. I know I need to swap the backing plates for the 10 inch ones, but when I replace the axles do I need to get the same length or a different length ?? Yes I know the bolt pattern is different..... I'm changing wheels too...........

thanks,

Mark.

Mark,
That is a new one on me. I have never heard of an 8 3/4 with 9 inch brakes from Ma Mopar. If you do a search here on FABO you can find the information you want. I can't recall the exact details myself since I am staying 10 inch sbp on my 8 3/4.
Bill

If your rearend has 9 inch drums on it, they were a replacement from a 7 1/4" rear or something. No 8 3/4" ever came with 9" drums, but I believe that 9" brake hardware from a SBP 7 1/4" rear can be swapped onto an 8 3/4" providing that it has the 1 3/4" brake setup. If this is the case, your solution would be to simply find all of the 10" hardware from a SBP rearend with 1 3/4" hardware and you should be good to go!!

Now, a part of your post confuses me. Are you planning on swapping to LBP axles?? If so, then you will need to switch all of the brake hardware as well because the SBP flange has a different offset to run the 1 3/4" shoes, and if I'm not mistaken, the aftermarket axles with LBP are flanged for the 2" shoes. You need to clarify this before an absolute answer to your inquiry can be given!!! Geof

Ok, I'll try to clarify...... Yes, I plan to switch to the 4.5 inch bolt pattern axles, as I am also installing discs with the 4.5 inch pattern on the front. So my question is still this.........when I order the replacement axles with the 4.5 inch BP, do I need to order them with the same length as the old axles if I am going to also install the 10 inch backing plates and drums..???

And just to be sure, I'll re-measure the drums to see if they are in fact 9 inch or 10 inch.

Thanks again,

Mark.

-
Back