upgrading 66 GT With 74 Valiant Front end?

-

moose nugget

Moose Nugget
Reaction score
I finally decided finding 5x4" bolt pattern wheels is like buying hens teeth-unless I want to spend alot at one of the local tire shops for wheels and tires...So here we go- found a donor car--74 Valiant- disc brakes up front, drunks in the rear.. In the process of working out a trade. When I started on this I originally was going to stay with the 5x4 and go to 14" wheels. After visiting a few of the local car club gathering at the local KMart here in Peoria, AZ. and seeing what other folks are doing and listening to them-- Go- do the swap from the 13" 5x4 to 5x4.5 wheels- so the 74 valiant has disc up front and drums in the rear--5x4.5" bolt pattern, has old school chromes wheels with tires.. They are good enough for now to keep the car rolling and off of the ground in the shop. My main question will the 74 Valiant hardware (front suspension-arms, steering linkage) fit the 66 GT frame. the donor car has double master cyc I'm pulling it. The rear end- pulling it out.. Portioning Valve-pulling it with the brake lines- which I going to keep as a pattern for making up new lines.. I've surfing through most of the forums- I will definitely replace bushing and ball joints with new items including the Ujoints... I was going to just pull the axles out the 74 valiant, and swap it with what I have. Again thanks to those who have posted replies on other threads- repl the whole rear end- replace the rear springs and Shocks. Do it now, so I don't have to piece meal together later...Figure once all of the front end is rebuilt and rear end is done-- then its off to the alignment shop...Well thats the plan for now--- I know I'm probably missing things that need to be done.. As I do this, I'm gong to write up a Checklist, SOP with photos...and post it...

drunks in the rear..

LOL! Nice

Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you'll be gtg as long as you get ALL the parts to bolt on your car. I can't answer for sure if the drag link/idler/pitman pieces will all go in, but the upper/lower control arms, spindles, brakes, etc should all go in without issue. I'll do some looking around too...see if I can find anything that corroborates that.

for the rear end, that '74 may be an 8 1/4" rear...unless you're already equipped with an 8 3/4", that would be a worthwhile upgrade-parts are way more plentiful than the old 7 1/4" and it'll take much more abuse. I'm unsure if the axles would swap straight in though. What are you working with now?

My main question will the 74 Valiant hardware (front suspension-arms, steering linkage) fit the 66 GT frame. the donor car has double master cyc I'm pulling it. The rear end- pulling it out.. Portioning Valve-pulling it with the brake lines- which I going to keep as a pattern for making up new lines..

LOL! I can't answer for sure if the drag link/idler/pitman pieces will all go in, but the upper/lower control arms, spindles, brakes, etc should all go in without issue.

You'll still need to use the early A pitman, idler arm and centerlink as they are unique to the early A. UCAs, disc spindle, LCAs, torsion bars, rear end, etc bolt right on. If your early A has a sway bar, re-use your LCAs and swap the disc spindles from side to side so there won't be any interference with the sway bar. Am doing a similar swap on both my 65 Darts.

-
Back