Upholstery

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever do their own upholstery that can offer some advice and tips..?
Just test fit one of my bucket seat bottom covers and it went on easily.. My concern is doing the listing rods / wires.. Seems like that's going to be a bit difficult.. especially on the upright part of the bucket, near the top.
Also, do you worry about repainting the frame, even though it's going to be covered..?
Tips, resources etc. appreciated..!
20240404_210418.jpg
Screenshot_20240416_081133_Photos.jpg

Clean up the frames with a angle grinder wire wheel as best as possible and paint.

Install the covers with each side folded up in the FINAL position before hog ringing the listing wires.

Do you have/need the horizontal listing wires for the backs?

Are you installing headrests?

Legendary interiors has great videos, check them out and view multiple

I have lots of photos if you get stuck.

Is this a bench to bucket conversion?

20231215_140339.jpg
horizontal listing location.JPG
times.

I recently finished installing my 66 Barracuda covers on 66 Dart frames with new foam and Legendary covers. I found the bottoms were the hardest. I just finished doing a set of 67 Charger front seats - same frames and foam - different style civers of course. Again the bottoms were the hardest. The Legendary videos made it look easier that it actually was.

Last edited:

Clean up the frames with a angle grinder wire wheel as best as possible and paint.

Install the covers with each side folded up in the FINAL position before hog ringing the listing wires.

Do you have/need the horizontal listing wires for the backs?

Are you installing headrests?

Legendary interiors has great videos, check them out and view multiple

I have lots of photos if you get stuck.

Is this a bench to bucket conversion?

View attachment 1716237501View attachment 1716237503 times.
This is a bench to bucket conversion...no headrests..
There's one horizontal listing on each upright seat..that's the one that looks pretty difficult, although, I haven't even tried yet.
I got my covers from Legendary and I'll look for their kids. Thanks for the response..!

===>>> Horizontal listing 1st, fold the top down to access the wire then move to the sides. I started from the center length of the wire and worked toward the ends. Pretend your making a breakfast burrito top/side/side then flip the seat over and work the back/bottom.

If you don't have them already get the bucket seat floor mount plates the weld in on either side of the hump.

If you don't like the result for a particular area you can always pull the hog rings and redo.

Good Luck,
Art

20240209_143017.jpg
20240207_141830.jpg
20240210_175424.jpg

I just finished my '69 Road Runner buckets. I had my seat frames sandblasted, they were pretty gnarly. Repainted. The seat tracks were junk, and one set was from another mfr, lucky they reproduce them. Bought new molded seat foam, couldn't get the seat back covers over the new foam on the backs, bottoms were easy. So sprayed the old top foam with some disinfectant and reused it. Two listing wires bottom, two top. They are not difficult if you are using your old foam. I don't know how far you are going with materials, new or reusing your old internals. Turn your new seat cover inside out, listing wires into their envelopes, push the wires down through the slot in the foam and hog ring it in three places to the lower list wire attached to the seat springs. I use real hog rings and real hog ring pliers. Your going to use several, you will make mistakes. Farm stores carry the ring for about $4.00 per 100. If your spring are a little saggy, you can ty them together with tyraps. Legendary's video is helpful, but they are not with you to help! Sometimes you can sacrifice a plastic bag to help get a seat cover on. Document taking your seat apart.

20240416_171917.jpg

20240416_171857.jpg

20240416_171811.jpg

20240416_184821.jpg

Beautiful! :thumbsup:
I just finished my '69 Road Runner buckets. I had my seat frames sandblasted, they were pretty gnarly. Repainted. The seat tracks were junk, and one set was from another mfr, lucky they reproduce them. Bought new molded seat foam, couldn't get the seat back covers over the new foam on the backs, bottoms were easy. So sprayed the old top foam with some disinfectant and reused it. Two listing wires bottom, two top. They are not difficult if you are using your old foam. I don't know how far you are going with materials, new or reusing your old internals. Turn your new seat cover inside out, listing wires into their envelopes, push the wires down through the slot in the foam and hog ring it in three places to the lower list wire attached to the seat springs. I use real hog rings and real hog ring pliers. Your going to use several, you will make mistakes. Farm stores carry the ring for about $4.00 per 100. If your spring are a little saggy, you can ty them together with tyraps. Legendary's video is helpful, but they are not with you to help! Sometimes you can sacrifice a plastic bag to help get a seat cover on. Document taking your seat apart.

View attachment 1716237593

View attachment 1716237594

View attachment 1716237595

View attachment 1716237598

I never did a Mopar seat, but waaaay back when I worked on old (64 1/2 - 73) Mustangs, I found that the job went easier if I could do them outside in a warm sun. Much more workable.

If the vinyl is not tight and conform right to the foam it don't look right I take a heat gun and make it tight

Also, for those of us that need headrest work, mine needed the chrome band replaced. Got the four chrome headrest guides for them from Mega Parts. Notjustheadrests in the St. Louis, MO. area.

20240416_191548.jpg

Also, for those of us that need headrest work, mine needed the chrome band replaced. Got the four chrome headrest guides for them from Mega Parts. Notjustheadrests in the St. Louis, MO. area.

View attachment 1716237665
I see you're in Illinois and mention the St Louis area... What part of Illinois are you in..?
If you're close, I'll just drop my seats off...lol
Actually, I've learned to except my level of skill while doing this project car..which is my first one. I try to do and have done everything myself, minus body work. THAT, I can't and won't do.
You're seats look pretty darn good, by the way..!

Just outside Rock Island. 4 -4 1/2 hours.
Thank you
Pm me if you have questions.

Im in the middle of my Dart Bench seat . Had broken springs had to improvize a bit with a roll of zig zag spring material. My advice is get stainless hog rings and good hog ring pliers not the Chinesium ones with red plastic grips. The grips on the good ones are knurled. Yes I am going to wire wheel and paint mine so it lasts another 55 years...its just good quality work to do so...

-
Back