Upper Ball Joint Removal

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
Is there any way to remove the upper ball joints without buying a $30 socket from Mancini Racing? I would have to buy 2 since I need to remove the older, smaller joints and then install the new, larger ball joints. I really hate to have to spend $60 on tools I will use for 20 minutes and then throw into my toolbox!

Yeah, there is. Borrow them from someone like me who paid the $60.00, used them for 20 minutes, and then threw them in his tool box. At least that's what my Mopar Buddies around here do... LOL!

:toothy7:

Nice. I see I'm not the only one in that situation. I'll ask around at the cruise ins and see if anyone has bought them already.

do you have new arms? why remove the old ones if your not using them?? 73-a body upper balljoints don't fit in 72- down arms.

I have the control arms from a 73 dart to convert my 71 from drums to disks. THe disk brake spindles require larger ball joints on the top

Check out some of the bigger chain parts houses. They sometimes have tool loaner programs. Leave a deposit, use tool, return tool, get deposit back.

I know Kragen, checker, autozone all have this type of deal in my area.

You should only need the larger '73 up ball joint socket. When doing the conversion you undo the nut on the upper ball joint and use a pickle fork (rentable for free at places like AutoZone etc. you just leave a returnable deposit) to free the ball joint bolt/pin from the spindle. I find this easier to do on the car. Then just unbolt the cam bolts on the upper arm on each side and slide the bolts out. The whole arm will come out without your needing to undo the ball joint with a socket.

The new upper arm, if replacing the ball joint (advised), you will need to purchase or borrow the correct socket. Watch for previous owners tack welding the old ball joint in. Saw that on some when I did the conversion on our '71.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

That does help. I may wait to try removing that upper ball joint until the arm is on the car. Thanks a bunch.

I put mine in a large vise and was lucky enough to be able to turn them out with a pipe wrench. Not high tech, but it worked.

Jack

I have the control arms from a 73 dart to convert my 71 from drums to disks. THe disk brake spindles require larger ball joints on the top

You do not need to touch the upper ball joint on the 71 at all. You un-bolt the control arm from the car and unbolt the spindle from the lower ball joint and remove the 71 control arm and spindle as an assembly since these parts won't be used.

You will only need the socket for the 73+ size ball joint if you plan to replace the ball joint in your new control arms.

You're right 333. I had a slight brain fart while writing that post! You guys sure dont miss much! It's nice to have this kind of tech advice available. Thanks a ton. I may try the pipe wrench first, as long as I dont screw up the new paint I just sprayed on it last night.

-
Back