Upper Control Arm Bushings

-

1969_Valiant

Reaction score
Hi everyone. Inspection has come up and I need upper control arm bushings. Do I just get the entire control arm? I avoid cheap Chinese crap, but I don't need racing parts either. Any recommendations? Thanks for your help on this.

No,just get the bushings. This is going to throw off your alignment so your going to have to take it in to get done. I would get the offset ones since your going through all of that anyways.

Hi everyone. Inspection has come up and I need upper control arm bushings. Do I just get the entire control arm? I avoid cheap Chinese crap, but I don't need racing parts either. Any recommendations? Thanks for your help on this.

You just have to replace the old, worn out bushings in the arm(s)
Bushings, your local parts store that you deal with, Rock Auto, on the internet, or numerous Amazon vendors.

But i see that your PA.
You east coast guys,, in the rust belt states, have a hard time in getting the control arm bolts out, due to them rusting to the inner bushing shell.
Good luck on your disassembly.

Cool. Thanks for the replies. My mechanic friend wants to check and make sure the control arm isn't damaged. It's been banging really hard on potholes. If all is good, I guess we'll just do the bushings. Any brand worth paying extra for or mfgs to avoid?

Yeah, rust is certainly a factor with my car. My friend will be doing most of the work at his shop with the proper tools, sprays, etc.... Hopefully it isn't too much of a pain.

Side question- You fly F-4s in the air force?

Cool. Thanks for the replies. My mechanic friend wants to check and make sure the control arm isn't damaged. It's been banging really hard on potholes. If all is good, I guess we'll just do the bushings. Any brand worth paying extra for or mfgs to avoid?

Yeah, rust is certainly a factor with my car. My friend will be doing most of the work at his shop with the proper tools, sprays, etc.... Hopefully it isn't too much of a pain.

Side question- You fly F-4s in the air force?

I don't have a personal prefernce to who's name is on the parts box.
In most cases the name "HARRIS" is always molded into the rubber.
So whoever Harris, is just reboxed with the names Moog, Napa, Car Quest, or others on the packaging.

Was a jet aircraft mechanic (crew chief) on the F-4's, during my years in the AF, maintaining them, fixing them.

If you need upper control arm bushings, you probably need new bushings in the entire front end. Yes, it's a pretty big "while I'm at it", but you're going to have it off the road and half the suspension apart already.

Use the Moog 7103 offset bushings for the UCA's. That will allow you to use more modern alignment specs- more positive caster, slightly negative camber. They install like this for that application, not like the instructions say
attachment.php?attachmentid=1714673370&stc=1&d=1384500285.jpg

Banging really hard on potholes could be a few things. More than likely you're bottoming out the suspension. That could be blown shocks, or a combination of too low of a ride height with the original, too small torsion bars.

I don't have a personal prefernce to who's name is on the parts box.
In most cases the name "HARRIS" is always molded into the rubber.
So whoever Harris, is just reboxed with the names Moog, Napa, Car Quest, or others on the packaging.

Was a jet aircraft mechanic (crew chief) on the F-4's, during my years in the AF, maintaining them, fixing them.

Cool man. Thanks for your service. My brother flew the F-14D and F-18E in the Navy. He used to own the car before I did. Him and his pilot friends(and maintenance personnel I'm sure) painted the VF-31 Felix logo on the hood. I'm going to keep it on there :usflag:

If you need upper control arm bushings, you probably need new bushings in the entire front end. Yes, it's a pretty big "while I'm at it", but you're going to have it off the road and half the suspension apart already.

Use the Moog 7103 offset bushings for the UCA's. That will allow you to use more modern alignment specs- more positive caster, slightly negative camber. They install like this for that application, not like the instructions say
View attachment 1714984059

Banging really hard on potholes could be a few things. More than likely you're bottoming out the suspension. That could be blown shocks, or a combination of too low of a ride height with the original, too small torsion bars.

Thanks for the info. Will that part number work for upper and lower? I'll have him check them all when its up.

It only bangs on the passenger side. I'm sure my shocks are pretty beat also, but not blown out. I'll start with the bushings because I know they are shot. If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll replace the shocks.

That's just the uppers. The lowers are moog K791.

A little off the subject but what are the washers for that come with the off set
bushings? I have the new Moog offset bushings installed in the upper control arms
but cannot figure out where the washers (spacers) go. Thanks

-
Back