Upper Control Arms

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I'm putting together the parts for my conversion from drum to disc. I've decided to stick with the small bolt pattern. I understand I'll need to change out the upper control arms. Question, since I really don't want to spend big $$'s on new tubular arms, what model Mopar should I be looking to pull them off of?

Is the spindles you are using meant for the large upper ball joint? If so you could always just buy the adapter sleeves from Dr. Diff. If you still want to go with the whole control arm then any upper control arms from 73-76 A-bodies will work.

I'm 99% sure I'll be using the Scarebird conversion that lets me use my existing spindles.

I'm 99% sure I'll be using the Scarebird conversion that lets me use my existing spindles.

ok I don't know anything about the scarebird conversion but if it states that you can use your original spindles then you don't need new upper arms. The only reason you would need new upper arms is if you were to use spindles from a 73-76 A-body to get the disc brakes. The 73-76's have a larger upper ball joint with a larger tapered shaft that bolts through the upper part of the spindle.

Probably this one https://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=103

Although he makes one for 10" drums too. Uses custom caliper brackets and a "register adaptor" (bearing sleeve) to mount toyota rotors and celebrity calipers on drum spindles. The rotors do need to be re-drilled.

It does keep the SBP, and uses parts you can get at any auto parts store (or junkyard). Cheaper than finding/rebuilding a KH setup, and probably not much more expensive than doing a 73+ BBP conversion, cheaper if you're keeping your stock rims/tires.

I suppose if you really want to keep the SBP its a good way to go, although I think it would be a pain to have to redrill rotors anytime you needed new ones. And of course SBP rims aren't the easiest to find if you're going aftermarket.

It's not in the budget to upgrade the wheels presently. I only put about 1000 miles on the car per year so rotor replacement isn't a big concern.

-
Back