Upper shock bolt advice needed

-

jpstewart19

Reaction score
Anyone have any idea what this grey metal cover is preventing access to the rear upper shock bolt? It can twist with vice grips but won’t come off? Advice needed

18C8BA76-CF7B-4C17-B42E-AF43B682ACBA.jpeg

That spacer is used for coil overs or air shocks to move the shock away from the gas tank. Yours are on the wrong side of the shock. That skinny nut that looks rounded in your pictures should turn off. Here are pictures of what the parts look like. Left side is factory right side is with spacer

100_0026.JPG

100_0027 (2).JPG

It's not breaking loose because you're grabbing the spacer WITH the nut. Just grab the very thin part on the outside. That's the nut. It should break loose then.

Grab ONLY the part where the red line is and it should break loose.
SHOCK NUT.jpeg

Can you feel the end of the bolt in the end of the nut (with red mark)

Does the green mark part turn when you turn the red mark part?

SHOCK NUT~2.jpeg

yep, that is a spacer for air shocks (HiJackers I think) but it is installed in the wrong place. It was supposed to shim the shocks away from the crossmember, but this just acts as a giant washer

Ok I discovered the bolt in the trunk and then removed the whole thing...was then able to get a clean angle on the nut to remove it....it was metric to boot!

And done! Thanks for all the responses. New springs and shocks installed. Now on to the front end overhaul.

Here is the before and after.

Screen Shot 2022-12-27 at 7.37.20 PM.png

Did you use the propper shock washers and nuts on reassembly?

Got a picture of the whole car??? Inquiring minds want to know!

Did you use the propper shock washers and nuts on reassembly?
I used the same washers/nuts...it was all I had and they were in great shape. Previous owner put air shocks on the Dart a few years ago and I needed them gone. Just went with standard Monroe-matic Plus. Going to replace the fronts when I get started on all of the front-end work (so get ready for some additional dumb questions).

I ordered through ESPO Springs N Things based on all the positive reviews I read here. I fortunately also bought the hardware kit, which was definitely needed. They were super helpful and definitely knew their stuff.

Did you order the springs at stock height or is that a +1 or 2? ESPO has definitely been my go to for that stuff and like you said they are super knowledgeable and helpful.

-
Back