-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Canuck

Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Contact seller
Hi guys, I filled my car with gas this evening and drove away, leaving the gas cap on my decklid. :banghead: I proceded to drive all over the countryside and when I got home..... no gas cap. I looked everywhere to no avail. Now I need one ASAP.

I would prefer one in very good to excellent condition with the rubber seal in good shape. I believe 71 caps are a one year only cap that are different from other years.

I will pay top dollar for one in excellent shape! Please let me know what you have.

Thanks

yup 71's are a one year only cap, and seem to be difficult to come by. ( I'v been keeping and eye out for an extra one myself) Hopefully someone on here has one for you! Good luck !

how do you tell what year it is?

also what color do you need? i have a few green ones in the shed i can check if they are the correct year.

Tube must match the cap. Also Dart valiant and scamp are different tubes then the duster demon and sport Body style.

72 -76 flange goes against the outside of the quarter 67 -71 flange goes on the inside.

Duster Demon and sport have three screws. all others have four. I am not familiar with cudas.

I didn't realize there was that much difference in the caps. I have a 70 duster, but after looking at the gas cap on it,it is from a 72-74. What kind of problems will this make? I know it is hard to start after running it.

on the 71's it depends on what month it was built because I have 2 71 swingers and they have the 72 and up style cap.

I have seen some 72 up caps on 71 cars . 72 and newer caps fit on the tubes that screw on to the outside of the quarter. 71 and back the the screws go through the quarter and thread into the tube. Tube flange is on the inside of the quarter.

Another words the difference is the tube and the way it is fastened. 72 up cars the screws thread into the quarter. 71 and older the screws thread into the tube. I believe some tubes could have been changed years ago if the 71 caps were lost. 71 caps have not been available for a long time. Lose your cap you needed a different tube for a proper seal.

I just acquired a 70 tube and cap for my 71 duster. 70 duster is the only sport body style that has a vented tube. One year only. This tube will accept caps from 67 -70 and the caps are not vented. These 70 tubes fit the 71's and still fasten to the quarter correctly. Also allow for the hoses for the vent/Impact collision protection on the 71 to be plugged.

I prefer this early style over the 71. It Allows the tube to be fastened correctly and eliminates the chance of the fuel being forced into the headliner of the car on impact.

A 72 and newer can also be used but if installed on the outside it moves the cap out past flush from the quarter a bit do to the different indent in the quarter on pre 72 cars.

All replacement quarters I have seen have the same intent as 72 and newer. Change the quarter. Change the tube. Or live with the cap not flush with the quarter. Just some experience I have had with gas caps over the years.

As stated the best thing I found is use a vented tube. And fill all vent hoses to plug them in the system. They will no longer be needed. Open vents were eliminated in 71 to contain fuel in the car on collisions. 71 was one of Mopars saftey screw ups the was changed for 72 due to liability issues.

Many still call this a vent system as per the manuals. First vent system I ever saw with a tube that has a cap facing the headliner with several lines going to it. Mine will be there for appearance only. If you leave it in take the fuse out of the dome light.

Because my 71 Dart uses a 72 up cap I just got a brand new cap from my works NAPA store for about $6.00

I just stumbled across this thread. I have an early 71 Demon SPD 925 but from your reference pictures I have the 72 and up cap with a filler tube that screws in from the back and my cap sits perfectly.
My filler tube has 3 screws and a vent line that is just sitting open under the trunk floor.
Oh and before we start a stripe thread I realize the cap should be painted including the handle and the stripe moved up accordingly.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ron:burnout:

Attachments

• IMG_3220 (Large).jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 282
  • IMG_3222 (Large).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_3224 (Large).jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_3225 (Large).jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 279
I just stumbled across this thread. I have an early 71 Demon SPD 925 but from your reference pictures I have the 72 and up cap with a filler tube that screws in from the back and my cap sits perfectly.
My filler tube has 3 screws and a vent line that is just sitting open under the trunk floor.
Oh and before we start a stripe thread I realize the cap should be painted including the handle and the stripe moved up accordingly.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Ron:burnout:
You have a 70 tube on your car. Yes the cap will work from a 72 on a 70 car. You may find that if you turn your cap tight the handle may be crooked. Other then that the only difference is the cap you have is vented and your tube is also. Not a bad thing but not correct. A 67-70 cap will not fit a 72 up tube. The prongs on the cap are to wide. But as said you can go the other way without much effect.

You have a 70 tube on your car. Yes the cap will work from a 72 on a 70 car. You may find that if you turn your cap tight the handle may be crooked. Other then that the only difference is the cap you have is vented and your tube is also. Not a bad thing but not correct. A 67-70 cap will not fit a 72 up tube. The prongs on the cap are to wide. But as said you can go the other way without much effect.

OK a 70 tube and I see it is a newer cap.
I guess the real question is since the car is a 925 build is the tube correct for my car? I have to look again but I'm 99% sure I don't have the 71 one year tank also.
Ron

OK a 70 tube and I see it is a newer cap.
I guess the real question is since the car is a 925 build is the tube correct for my car? I have to look again but I'm 99% sure I don't have the 71 one year tank also.
Ron

The tube in the trunk tells me you should have the 71 tank for CIP/vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back