Urgent!! will front brakes work on back

-

Wilnutt

Reaction score
i bought some 10 x 2.5" brakes and were told they'd work on my demon..went and spent $700 gettin it overhauled..i go out to get teh brake parts (the last part until i'm done) NO ONE CAN FIND THESE PARTS!!! I search online for part # 169...and it says THE PART'S FOR THE FRONT DRUMS!! Does this matter...I'm having trouble finding parts for this 10 x 2.5" set-up...

HERE ARE THE #S

shoes- 2 #'s fms-169, fe-72581
wheel cylinder eis 705a

and need to know what brake hardware kit to get....

PLEASE HELP!!!

I think the brake parts are totally different. I know the wheel cylinders are. You need the 10 x 2.5" from just about any car dated from 1965 and newer. I got mine off a 79 Plymouth Volare (A member here hooked me up). Just about any car, truck or van will suffice. I assume your doing this for the same reason I did? Large bolt pattern??

well i mean..the backing plates are already on...i know the 705a is for the rear...but the shoes i find.... 169's found at napa as ts169. are front shoes....all except for teh rear of some chargers...so maybe this 10"x2.5" set-up came out of a chrager???man if i get screwed here.. :cussing:

Wilnutt said:
well i mean..the backing plates are already on...i know the 705a is for the rear...but the shoes i find.... 169's found at napa as ts169. are front shoes....all except for teh rear of some chargers...so maybe this 10"x2.5" set-up came out of a chrager???man if i get screwed here.. :cussing:

If they are front backing plates your installing on the rear, do they have the provisions on them for the E-brakes to come through?? I honestly dont think you can use fronts on rears...holddowns etc all have different #'s. Sorry to say but you may wanna search a set out elsewhere. You can find them at your local yard or ebay for around $50 for everything. Drums, backing plates, core shoes etc all assembled. (not what you wanna hear, but it makes sence to get the right stuff)...sorry

Even if you did get front backing plates on the rear, and did use fronts on the rear, the arch of the shoes and linings be longer will cause the rears to lock easy. But you could put an adjustable proportioning valve to tone it done some... :thumbup:

Suregrip391 said:
If they are front backing plates your installing on the rear, do they have the provisions on them for the E-brakes to come through?? I honestly dont think you can use fronts on rears...holddowns etc all have different #'s. Sorry to say but you may wanna search a set out elsewhere. You can find them at your local yard or ebay for around $50 for everything. Drums, backing plates, core shoes etc all assembled. (not what you wanna hear, but it makes sence to get the right stuff)...sorry

does anyone have a pic differentiating the difference between front and rear?

i don't have my camera..it's in orlando...but i'll go look and try to describe it

ok..well... if looking at them from the side.... on the top and bottom you have 2 holes.both about 1/8-1/4".There's also a hole on teh bottom about 1/4-1/2"...so total one hole on top...2 on bottom...now to the left and right....on one side you have a hole that almost looks like a teddy bear head...and the other..you have 2 quite small vertical oval slashes

Wilnutt said:
ok..well... if looking at them from the side.... on the top and bottom you have 2 holes.both about 1/8-1/4".There's also a hole on teh bottom about 1/4-1/2"...so total one hole on top...2 on bottom...now to the left and right....on one side you have a hole that almost looks like a teddy bear head...and the other..you have 2 quite small vertical oval slashes

Ummmmmmmmmmm????????.......Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?????? Yes, sounds like a backing plate but could be anything really....Gotta see it man, sorry. Maybe someone else can chime in?.....

dad just got up..he looked and said that it does have a slot for emergency brake lines...but he also said some of teh vehicle had emergency brake lines on the fonrt??is this ture...

i did the best i could to do an illustration..i hope this helps a little

BRAKE.JPG

I found a pic of my small bolt pattern rear backing plates...does yours have the five bolt holes in the center? Bad pic, but it will work!

back3.JPG

Suregrip391 said:
I found a pic of my small bolt pattern rear backing plates...does yours have the five bolt holes in the center? Bad pic, but it will work!
yeah..compare it to my pic...you see those 2 lumps..you have the ruler in front of one...th one just underneath it has a hole that looks like where the emergency cable would go...all right i think we've established it is a rear backing plate..but where do i find 1" x 2.5" shoes,wheel cylinders, hardware...and can't for the life of my think of the adjuster thing at teh bottom

once the guy calls me bac..iu'll know exactly what it came from..the only prob is..the shoes for the 73-76 duster 10" x 2.5" look a little different...don't wanna mess up brakes..in my opinion on of teh 3 most important parts of teh car

Wilnutt said:
once the guy calls me bac..iu'll know exactly what it came from..the only prob is..the shoes for the 73-76 duster 10" x 2.5" look a little different...don't wanna mess up brakes..in my opinion on of teh 3 most important parts of teh car

I may be wrong but I dont think Dusters came with the 10x 2.5" brakes??...Go look up parts for a 1979 Plymouth Volare, those indeed had the 10"x2.5" brakes. Thats what I used.

ok i hope this'll help...here's a difference between the ones that go on a 74 dart 10x2.5 and the ones that are already on it...if i only knew what model used ts169's i'd be in the clear...

163349.jpg

165357.jpg

i'm just curious if all 10 x 2.5 backing plates and drums were the same...like..as long as i got all the recommended parts for a 74 duster..would it be all right..but don't know if the backing plates are universal

IT HAS FORD SHOES!!!!!!!

WTF!!!!

What do i do now?!?!?!?

are all 10x2.5" backing plates universal... the code is LM 12

-
Back