US Car Tool Core Support Stiffener

-

payneinthe

Reaction score
I'm mocking up my core stiffener today and I'm finding it to be a poor fit. My core support has a very gentle radius on it but the US Car tool stiffener has a very sharp corner.

Should I?
1) persuade the core support to be shaped more like the stiffener
2) persuade the stiffener to be shaped more like the core support
3) Ignore it and let there be a gap in the corner
4) None of the above

I'm mocking up my core stiffener today and I'm finding it to be a poor fit. My core support has a very gentle radius on it but the US Car tool stiffener has a very sharp corner.

Should I?
1) persuade the core support to be shaped more like the stiffener
2) persuade the stiffener to be shaped more like the core support
3) Ignore it and let there be a gap in the corner
4) None of the above
I recently installed one of these - I too found the fit to be pretty bad. I had to cut the welds that hold the corners to the front plate. Then I simply clamped the "free" edges to the car and tacked them on (once I was happy with the fit).

hell, the first one they sent me was SO far off (twisted) that I sent it back and had to get a new one

oh you know what - you're talking about the front edge not the sides.. yea, leave the gap. If you HAVE to have it filled in, use some seam sealer in there.

1) persuade the core support to be shaped more like the stiffener- Might work some, but, not likely. It's anchored at the corners, so you'd have to stretch it. It will look like hammered dog crap when you're done, but at least it will be under the radiator.
2) persuade the stiffener to be shaped more like the core support- Not gonna happen. You will only succeed in making it look like crap.
3) Ignore it and let there be a gap in the corner- you'll see the wisdom in this
4) None of the above- You could remove the original core support all together if it bugs you that much

I just did the install on my '71 GT. Other than that bottom leading edge, everything lined up great. Looks like I need to take some "finished" pictures of it. Here's the mock up.

IMG_4100.JPG

1) persuade the core support to be shaped more like the stiffener- Might work some, but, not likely. It's anchored at the corners, so you'd have to stretch it. It will look like hammered dog crap when you're done, but at least it will be under the radiator.
2) persuade the stiffener to be shaped more like the core support- Not gonna happen. You will only succeed in making it look like crap.
3) Ignore it and let there be a gap in the corner- you'll see the wisdom in this
4) None of the above- You could remove the original core support all together if it bugs you that much

I just did the install on my '71 GT. Other than that bottom leading edge, everything lined up great. Looks like I need to take some "finished" pictures of it. Here's the mock up.

View attachment 1715062613
good stuff - did you have to open up the slots in the middle where the center support mounts?

Doesn't fit as well, but I'm pretty sure my core support is far from where it's supposed to be. Everything on the bottom of this car is smashed to hell.

IMG_20170701_162849.jpg
IMG_20170701_162816.jpg
IMG_20170701_162811.jpg
IMG_20170701_162729.jpg

good stuff - did you have to open up the slots in the middle where the center support mounts?

Nope, they were already cut. Just had to line them up.

Doesn't fit as well, but I'm pretty sure my core support is far from where it's supposed to be. Everything on the bottom of this car is smashed to hell.

View attachment 1715062627 View attachment 1715062628 View attachment 1715062629 View attachment 1715062630

Looks exactly like mine did. If you shift the whole stiffener a bit less than a 1/4" to the driver's side the stiffener will line up with the edge of the support and the bolt holes for the center brace will line up. All you need to do is loosen a few of those clamps, tap the passenger side of the stiffener with a dead blow until it seats against that corner lip on the core support and you'll be home free.

***Edit***
This is what I'm talking about. Just tap the stiffener over until it seats against that lip. The other side will slide in and do the same, and the center brace holes will be centered.
IMG_20170701_162816.jpg

Nope, they were already cut. Just had to line them up.

Looks exactly like mine did. If you shift the whole stiffener a bit less than a 1/4" to the driver's side the stiffener will line up with the edge of the support and the bolt holes for the center brace will line up. All you need to do is loosen a few of those clamps, tap the passenger side of the stiffener with a dead blow until it seats against that corner lip on the core support and you'll be home free.
huh - mine were just two round holes - I had to "U" them myself. @payneinthe I agree with this ^ - it's not going to be "right on the money" - like I said earlier though, maybe consider popping the welds out of the curved edges - it'll make it snug up better

huh - mine were just two round holes - I had to "U" them myself. @payneinthe I agree with this ^ - it's not going to be "right on the money" - like I said earlier though, maybe consider popping the welds out of the curved edges - it'll make it snug up better

Yeah mine looked just like the OP's below with the U's extending all the way down. And you can see why the stiffener needs to shift a smidge to the driver's side with this one too. It should be pretty darn close with a small movement.

img_20170701_162811-jpg.jpg

gotta warn ya - if you decide to cut the welds out - be careful, both sides on the one I did had some dang good "spring back" to them... one of them got me

-
Back