Use ZDP every oil change?

-

dusterny

Reaction score
I use ZDP on every oil change. I see it as cheap insurance. Do you think it is overkill?

Yes, unless you have a cam with a lot of lift and very strong springs you don't need the aditive after break in.

I use Rotella I called there 1800# after an hour of bullshit i finally got an answer it has at least 1200 ppm and should be used on all flat tappet cams.The ZDDP additive does not mix well with oil it will sit in the bottom of the pan!

Yes, unless you have a cam with a lot of lift and very strong springs you don't need the additive after break in.

I would think the more spring pressure you have the more important
it would be to use the additive.

yes use it that is BS it sits i nthe pan. If it is a solid cam or very high sping pressure you need OIL with ZDP, add STP, ZDP or Valvoilne race oil or ZALT etc for oil.

Should I use it if my motor has never been rebuilt and the car is 1967 Barracuda with 76,000? Wouldn't it help in this instance because the motors back then ran on oil with much higher zinc levels?

Carl

ALL flat tappets need the zinc content from SOMEWHERE. Whether it's from an additive or already mixed in the oil. The zinc USED to be in all motor oils so sayin it sits in the bottom of the pan is nuts. All you gotta do is read the Comp cams site. It's all there. I wouldn't run anything other than what the cam maker recommends.

SOME ZINC additives don't mix with oil well Not all !!
Do your research before using additives because there just that additives its best to use oil made for flat tappits!
A friend built a 383 3rd pull on the dyno and the cam was wiped and the lifters weren't spinning pulled the pan and yes the ADDITIVE was in the bottom of the pan and yes it was COMP cams break in **** .
2nd time around was royal purple with NO comp cam **** all was good.

-
Back