Used exhaust install question?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I have dual exhaust that is used from a dart.

How hard is it to get the exhaust over the rear axl? Do you need to have the car on a hoist? Or do you think you can slide the exhaust over the axl when the car is just on jack stands?

The exhaust it from the headers back so it's quite long.

I don't have a hoist and tiring to avoid having to pay a mechanic.

Thanks!

"PAH"?

No they weren't from ebay. It came with my engine, that was in a Dart as well.

I have dual exhaust that is used from a dart.

How hard is it to get the exhaust over the rear axl? Do you need to have the car on a hoist? Or do you think you can slide the exhaust over the axl when the car is just on jack stands?

The exhaust it from the headers back so it's quite long.

I don't have a hoist and tiring to avoid having to pay a mechanic.

Thanks!

Exhaust is a PITA laying on your back in the dirt. Trying to get enough room and leverage is a challenge. Try to rent a hoist. It will help tons,as will having a torch handy. A tailpipe expander will help some too.

Just finished my exhaust a couple months back. If the piping is in pieces then you can fit it with everything in its place. The 2.5" kit that I bought from Jeg's has the break in the piping at the top of the hoop over the axle. So I could simply piece it together, then weld. Its tricky going over the axle around the shock then along the leaf springs while routing along the gas tank, with 1 big piece. If its 1 piece from the header back then you'll probably have to drop the axle down.

If its up on jack stands and your letting the wheels and axle hang down you might be able to "weasel" it in. I've never tried that though. I would remove the driveshaft too. Good luck.

Forgot to mention that my Duster was in my narrow single car garage on jack stand for the install...yes PITA..

Take it to a shop and get it seperated much easier.U-bolts are cheap.

When you say the exhaust is from the headers back and "quite long" do you mean each side is a single piece? If this is the case the install will be fairly easy AFTER you remove your axle! It will be impossible otherwise. You need to separate the exhaust into at least 2 pieces on each side. This is generally done at the mufflers.

A picture or two would help.

Also, when you say it came of another Dart, was it the same wheelbase? Swingers/Scamps were longer than Dusters/Demons/Sports by a couple inches.

-
Back