USPS has........

-
I now have three packages with the USPS missing. They were delivered. To the wrong zip code, because the carrier mis typed the delivering zip code.

Here is the last explanation I got that nearly blew the top of my head off. Are yall ready for this?

"Mr. Merritt, when a package is delivered to the wrong address, we rely on the integrity of the recipient to deliver it to the correct address."

Last I checked, the Post Office gets paid to deliver it to the correct address. When UPS or FEDEX mis delivers a package, they will send the driver back out and find it, but then, it is very rare they ever mis deliver. Ever.

The USPS has a carrier in my neighborhood every single day delivering things, yet refuses to try and find my packages that they mis delivered.

It is clearly evident why the post office loses so much money every year. No one wants to do their job.

I sent a part to Steve from Canada to an address in Port Huron with tracking and signature. They lost track of the package, but it somehow got delivered. I could not find out where it was until Steve's co-worker went to get it a month later.

I could have been dishonest and claimed the insurance and that it had never been delivered.

I was tempted, as I made many inquiries about it at my local post office and on line, and NO RESPONSES.

As far as they know the package has not been delivered, I have made many inquiries to see where it was, and they don't even care enough to contact me. It fell into a black hole....

Rusty,

Not that cost 49 cents.

Here is the rate for 2nd day air rates for UPS for letters.

Letter** $14.44 $14.84 $15.49 $17.14 $20.65 $21.75 $22.05 $31.75 $27.29 $42.73

Range from zone 1 to zone 8

Now UPS and FEDEX both negotiate with companies on rates, but I know from experience that they will never get close to the rate the USPS charges. And generally speaking, first class mail gets delivered on average across this nation in 3 days. Especially mail that is coded with 55 character IMB. USPS mail for parcel services is now using a new barcode as well. IMPB. The IMB (intelligent Mail Barcode ) provides information re the addressee as well as the sender. Even mail that is hand addressed may be run through the sorter and have a limited data IMB applied. Companies can even use the IMB to track their mailflow.

Go thru this constantly. Sadly the USPS lives by the DMM....the Domestic Mail Manual. Logic need not apply when it comes to the USPS "bible".

Worked there for close to 20 years. The delivery issues are just the tip of the iceberg. Want to become a plant manger? Just sexually harass an employee.....promotions guaranteed. Of course part of your "punishment for costing the USPS a 300k payout in addition to any legal fees for the person you harassed will be a 6 month detail job in Hawaii. This will include a several hundred dollar a day "allowance"....needless to say the USPS will also be putting you in a resort style hotel. Wife not employed by the USPS? Not a problem, they will fly her out with you...and give her a couple hundred a day "allowance" as well.

Want to see how the USPS is treating employees injured on the job? Just enter USPS National Reassessment Program in your search bar and hit enter.....this is the very reason why my wife is collecting disability.

I sent a part to Steve from Canada to an address in Port Huron with tracking and signature. They lost track of the package, but it somehow got delivered. I could not find out where it was until Steve's co-worker went to get it a month later.

I could have been dishonest and claimed the insurance and that it had never been delivered.

I was tempted, as I made many inquiries about it at my local post office and on line, and NO RESPONSES.

As far as they know the package has not been delivered, I have made many inquiries to see where it was, and they don't even care enough to contact me. It fell into a black hole....

Yep and when my coworker/friend picked it up, no sig or anything required. And the manuals you were waiting on from me Karl?? LOL

Here is a good chuckle about Canada Post

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=298692&highlight=irony

I mailed something out at the Local UPS store. We were talking about lost mail, UPS and US Mail etc. He told me that the USPS uses UPS planes to overnight mail. I was surprised and he said, have you ever seen a USPS plane? Right now I am waiting for an ebay purchase being shipped by USPS, the tracking number has not been updated for four days, I am getting nervous that it is lost.

I sent a letter in a legal envelope , sent from Colorado to British Columbia . it took 4 and half weeks to get there, I had already wrote it off when the recipient contacted me the same day he received it to let me know he had gotten it. that was the only time I had actually thought USPS had lost my mail. but it made it. other than that , I have had nothing but good words for their service. i use them often. i wont even walk into UPS to send a package EVER again. those people are just downright rude and complicating.

It ain't all sunshine and rainbows. This year alone, I have personally had FedEx drop the ball FOUR TIMES on critical, overnight AOG (Aircraft-On-Ground) deliveries. That we PAID for! Not ONCE did they offer, or accept our demands that they not charge us the Next Day fee. One of those Next Days was not delivered until the THIRD day after it was ordered...no apologies, no refunds, no excuses. The drivers are freaking morons.
Recently I had a core return with a pre-paid return label, so I scheduled a pickup. Driver shows up and says he can't take it because he's FedEx Ground driver, not the Next Day or P1 guy. Don't you go to the same place, I ask? Yes, but not my division, he says.
SO-FREAKING-WHAT!!!!!? You can't drive and drop a few feet away? Nope...have to call our other division.
Now THAT'S lazy!
Back to USPS...the only thing they have goin' for them is the "If It Fits, It Ships" deal. Had a guy sent me 25 pounds of bullet casting lead in a 5.99 flat rate box...LOL!

I mailed something out at the Local UPS store. We were talking about lost mail, UPS and US Mail etc. He told me that the USPS uses UPS planes to overnight mail. I was surprised and he said, have you ever seen a USPS plane? Right now I am waiting for an ebay purchase being shipped by USPS, the tracking number has not been updated for four days, I am getting nervous that it is lost.

USPS has a deal in place with FedEx, not UPS. Ever since this deal has been in place all USPS mail, except Express, gets loaded in the same FedEx pod, so paying the extra $$ for Priority is a waste....spent close to 20 years in the USPS

They also have some kinda deal with DHL. Every package I get that started out as DHL ends up coming from the post office.

I now have three packages with the USPS missing. They were delivered. To the wrong zip code, because the carrier mis typed the delivering zip code.
BULLSHIT! the scanners are pre-set to the delivery zip code prior to leaving the post office.
In fact, a carriers whole day is set in those scanners. You don't change the zip during delivery operations. The only exception is Sunday parcel delivery's, but then you only change the zip when/if you move from one zip code into another. It's a huge undertaking and it can't be done accidentally. Then, if you should accidentally scan a package that belongs to another zip code, the scanner goes into an error message.
That was a P/M giving you the sunshine treatment.
As for the package not being delivered, if they can get you a letter, then they can get you your parcel. There is absolutely no reason at all why not. I've delivered live bees, chicks, cremated remains and I can't prove it, but I'm sure a few pounds of pot over the years.
There is a 1-800 customer service # to call and *****. Trust me, that will get a P/M's attention! That complaint goes to a POOM (Post Office Operations Manger) and the old saying about **** going down hill goes into effect. Most importantly these complaints affect the P/M's performance bonus. I wouldn't even hesitate to call.
As for the UPS clerk saying that they fly USPS mail, unless you're in Louisville,Ky I'm calling B/S. USPS contracts cargo space on private air liners. This has been the norm since the dawn of aviation.
You guys can piss and moan until hell wont have it anymore, the USPS isn't going away. UPS and FEDEX can't afford it. Their business models depend on the Post Office. The P/O isn't losing money despite what the news reports. Congress mandates that the P/O pre fund a retirement plan for people who aren't even born yet.
I shall now step off of my soap box!

BULLSHIT! the scanners are pre-set to the delivery zip code prior to leaving the post office.

Yes, that is correct, but it was set to a Wichita Kansas zip code, I have the documentation right here on my desk WITH the numbers. It was supposed to go to 31217, but it says delivered to 61217. Following the tracking, it shows out for delivery in Macon Georgia with a 31206 zip, to be delivered to the 31217, and shows delivered to the 61217.

In fact, a carriers whole day is set in those scanners. You don't change the zip during delivery operations. The only exception is Sunday parcel delivery's, but then you only change the zip when/if you move from one zip code into another. It's a huge undertaking and it can't be done accidentally. Then, if you should accidentally scan a package that belongs to another zip code, the scanner goes into an error message.

Well, I have documentation that says these packages were delivered to a Wichita Kansas zip code, yet they claim the packages were delivered in Georgia. Not just one package and not just one day. He has another package from someone else that shows exactly the same thing.

There is a 1-800 customer service # to call and *****. Trust me, that will get a P/M's attention! That complaint goes to a POOM (Post Office Operations Manger) and the old saying about **** going down hill goes into effect. Most importantly these complaints affect the P/M's performance bonus. I wouldn't even hesitate to call.

Yup, I called today, I hope they can straighten this stupidity out.

Seriously, why would a package be sent back when it has my name, address, city, state and zip. All they have to do is get the package to the town I live in, I WILL get it.

Tell me bout it! I ordered a air say on ebay with insurance, they said they could not continue with the process because the tracking said it was delivered....umm wtf is the point of insurance!?!?!

Excuse me, sir. I am simply telling it like it was told to me by the post office.

As for the package not being delivered, if they can get you a letter, then they can get you your parcel. There is absolutely no reason at all why not. I've delivered live bees, chicks, cremated remains and I can't prove it, but I'm sure a few pounds of pot over the years.
As for the UPS clerk saying that they fly USPS mail, unless you're in Louisville,Ky I'm calling B/S. USPS contracts cargo space on private air liners. This has been the norm since the dawn of aviation.
You guys can piss and moan until hell wont have it anymore, the USPS isn't going away. UPS and FEDEX can't afford it. Their business models depend on the Post Office. The P/O isn't losing money despite what the news reports. Congress mandates that the P/O pre fund a retirement plan for people who aren't even born yet.
I shall now step off of my soap box!

For the amount of pieces they handle in a years time, they probably have a good average.

My problem is the stupidity in not being able to deliver a package that is addressed to me. Yet they were able to deliver a notice to me saying the package would be returned.

Does this really make any sense to anyone? It sure doesn't to me.

It makes no sense either that they can deliver a notice to the mailbox that says I have a package (that will not fit in the mailbox) when all they have to do is drive down my driveway and leave it on the porch. My PO branch is literally 25 miles away in Macon. Not JUST in Macon. but on the OPPOSITE side of Bibb county from me in Jones county. It is literally as far away from me as possible while still being in Bibb county. Yet I live 6 miles from Gordon, Georgia and 8 miles from Gray, Georgia. Talk about stupid.

I live in Topeka, Kansas, the capital city of Kansas. They closed the Topeka P.O. distribution center and the BIG main P.O. downtown. Now, when you send a birthday card to the other side of town, that card goes to Kansas City first????

For the amount of pieces they handle in a years time, they probably have a good average.

My problem is the stupidity in not being able to deliver a package that is addressed to me. Yet they were able to deliver a notice to me saying the package would be returned.

Does this really make any sense to anyone? It sure doesn't to me.
Why are you trying to apply logic to a very illogical organization? Kinda foolish if you ask me.
Used to sort first class presort mail. Mailers were given a discount for sorting the mail....to a point. Several of them would dump everything in one tray and then just put a 3 digit label on it. Result was there mail needed just as much work, minus canceling the stamp, as stuff dumped in a mailbox yet they only paid $.21 a letter. When I bought this up to management I was told that they could not tell the customer what to do....even though the customer was getting a sizeable discount for sorting the mail.

I live in Topeka, Kansas, the capital city of Kansas. They closed the Topeka P.O. distribution center and the BIG main P.O. downtown. Now, when you send a birthday card to the other side of town, that card goes to Kansas City first????

Yup. Mail a letter in Missoula Mt to Missoula Mt it comes to Spokane to get processed.

Don't know if it ever happened , the Tucson P&DC was rumored to be going away. Which would leave only the Phoenix P&DC to process all of Arizonas mail.

Wonder whatever happened to the USPS plant that ad zero human involvement

USPS has a deal in place with FedEx, not UPS. Ever since this deal has been in place all USPS mail, except Express, gets loaded in the same FedEx pod, so paying the extra $$ for Priority is a waste....spent close to 20 years in the USPS

Thats right we(Fed-Ex) ship more mail then the USPS..through the air that is.

Excuse me, sir. I am simply telling it like it was told to me by the post office.
Oh, I don't doubt for a second that you were told that!
I've heard Post Masters and Clerks straight lie to people about things at the counter to get them to leave.
And you no doubt have a piece of paper with a delivery to a improper zip code.
What I'm saying is, when the actual mail carrier on the street, is out delivering mail, he/she isn't leaving your package that should be going to you in Georgia to a house in Kansas. Your package may have wound up in the wrong sorting line and was sent to the wrong post office, but it didn't hit the street. The carrier wouldn't be able to deliver it for several reasons. When scanned it would come back as no such street, no such number, or the zip would be bad for that mail route.
So, if you go there and they tell you they had the package there, but they returned it, you call bullshit on them. They have parcel lockers for oversize packages and they can leave a notice in your PO Box for anything that is larger than the locker. I have a PO Box also, the lazy *** clerk tried that crap with me at my PO until she found out I'm a retired carrier and made a couple calls. I don't like doing that kind of stuff, but it's people like this that give the rest of us a bad rep.

It makes no sense either that they can deliver a notice to the mailbox that says I have a package (that will not fit in the mailbox) when all they have to do is drive down my driveway and leave it on the porch. My PO branch is literally 25 miles away in Macon. Not JUST in Macon. but on the OPPOSITE side of Bibb county from me in Jones county. It is literally as far away from me as possible while still being in Bibb county. Yet I live 6 miles from Gordon, Georgia and 8 miles from Gray, Georgia. Talk about stupid.
Quick question, when they deliver your mail, do they drive the normal white square mail trucks or their own private cars?
The reason I ask is that some routes are contracted out to private carriers.
Even if it's a contracted route, they should still bring the package, however, if they're not you may want to get a the NRLCA involved. They've been trying to shut down those contract routes forever.

Keep in mind that the USPS went with the lowest bid when it came to the hardware/software for the scanners. Not uncommon for the system to be down.....for days/weeks at a time. As Gunbunny can attest to the USPS using them for tracking purposes for the customers is secondary. The real readonly they have the scanners is to "sit" the employees electronically, the USPS will do whatever it can to eliminate bid jobs.
All in all it is hard to knock the USPS. are they perfect? Hell no. But keeping in mind the sheer volume of mail processed they do a damn decent job. On any given night when we would process 1.5 million first class letters in Phoenix we may have destroyed 250-300 letters. But even the majority of them were body bagged and delivered. Sadly, the bulk of the destroyed mail was from the customer mailing stuff they shouldn't. Every letter that you mail unsealed, or with the flaps loose, has the potential to destroy the next 12 or so letters behind it. Christmas time was not uncommon for a company to dump 400 cards in the mailbox, all unsealed. Don't know how many times I have told folks TAPE THE FLAP SHUT. To the one person that always has to argue with me about it... do you even know what an AFCS is? I ran one for 4 years straight, and another 6 or so part time.
The folks that botch about destroyed parcels are always entertaining. If there is any open air space in 5he box you have just increased the potential for damage 10 fold. But again, what do I know, I only was employed there for close to 20 years.
Used to be parcels were ran thru the SPBS machine, the shipping address read and keyed by a human. Now it is all done on the APPS machine..address read by a scanner with ocr software. Illegible hand writing...well the ocr software can only do so much.
Like mentioned earlier, the USPS has its own bible, the DMM. It is the sophisticated of how things are supposed to be done. It often makes close to zero sense. But that is the way it is.
The carrier that delivers to our area is no longer allowed to deliver packages to the houses down here. Our roads are private, something happens, he gets stick for instance, he is responsible for the bill.
When I worked in NJ we would often receive mail via OTR companies. Postal folks,even though the trailer was on Postal property, were not allowed to help him unload, we were not covered by his insurance and the DMM forbid it. The other side of the coin..contractors would often haul a Postal trailer to us. The driver was not allowed to enter it...so says the DMM. No doubt there was insurance issues too.
What do expect from a "quasi" government organization?

Sorry for rambling.....

-
Back