USPS shipping

-

68coupe

Reaction score
I'm selling some parts to another member here and shipping USPS. I've bought a fortune's worth of parts, but shipped only a couple of times. I try to ship USPS flat rate, but these parts won't fit.
Here's the issue:
I went to the PO to get the flat rate box to see if the parts would fit. Nope. I have packaged the parts in a different box, approx 11 pounds. Then I go onto the USPS to calculate the price. Much to my amazement - the site says that it will be $22 if I do online shipping, $42 if I take the box to the PO. What?

I don't have a USPS account and don't currently have a printer to print out the shipping label. Is it going to cost $20 to get USPS to do that?

Please educate me on the shipping! Thanks

I'm selling some parts to another member here and shipping USPS. I've bought a fortune's worth of parts, but shipped only a couple of times. I try to ship USPS flat rate, but these parts won't fit.
Here's the issue:
I went to the PO to get the flat rate box to see if the parts would fit. Nope. I have packaged the parts in a different box, approx 11 pounds. Then I go onto the USPS to calculate the price. Much to my amazement - the site says that it will be $22 if I do online shipping, $42 if I take the box to the PO. What?

I don't have a USPS account and don't currently have a printer to print out the shipping label. Is it going to cost $20 to get USPS to do that?

Yup, once a human is involved, gotta pay their salary.

Sheeesh! That sounds like going to the bank or credit union!

You go to the PO here and you have workers milling around doing nothing and 8-10 people in line. Slowest place on Earth. I think Postal workers are all prescribed thorazine!

OK - back to business! Somebody 'splain the process to me.
You create a USPS account, you box the item(s), you measure and weigh, Then what? How do you pay- credit or debit card? Print the label on plain paper? I'm clueless!

Here's the issue:

Boy, im in the same boat. I sold some seat covers on the B body forum last month for 50.00. I then got shipping quotes from both ups and fedex at over 65.00! now how do you tell a buyer that a part cost 50 bucks and its 65 to ship? I finally went to usps with my own box, and they did ship it for 20ish dollars. I wasn't sure if they would take it, but they did. Shipping is pretty much a screwing, and if there is a secret id like to know also.

Sheeesh! That sounds like going to the bank or credit union!

You go to the PO here and you have workers milling around doing nothing and 8-10 people in line. Slowest place on Earth. I think Postal workers are all prescribed thorazine!
Spent close to 20 years with the USPS. Ain't never seen a Postal Worker...Postal Employee yes

You create a USPS account, you box the item(s), you measure and weigh, Then what? How do you pay- credit or debit card? Print the label on plain paper? I'm clueless!

I haven't done it, but the last time I looked, that's about it in a nutshell.

Yes, that is exactly how it works. Their site is much more difficult than Fedex, IMO. You could create an account and print the label at a local FedEx or library? (Are there even libraries anymore?) :banghead:

Boy, im in the same boat. I sold some seat covers on the B body forum last month for 50.00. I then got shipping quotes from both ups and fedex at over 65.00! now how do you tell a buyer that a part cost 50 bucks and its 65 to ship? I finally went to usps with my own box, and they did ship it for 20ish dollars. I wasn't sure if they would take it, but they did. Shipping is pretty much a screwing, and if there is a secret id like to know also.
can't swear to this being true everywhere but based on how the USPS was trying to make things as uniform as possible would say it is true everywhere. FedEx Flys all of the USPS stuff. The only real difference between Standard and Priority is the price you pay. I worked the opening unit in Phoenix. We dumped all of the hampers from collection boxes. All parcels, Priority and Standard got tossed in the same container. From us it went thru another machine to be sorted, not by class but by zip. From there it went into FedEx pods. Only time Priority went first was if a pod is filled and there is some Priority left....basically only going to happen during the holidays. While back we mailed a package to my father in law, sent it Standard. Took 4 days from Spokane to Calexico. Just sent a Priority package to him...4 days.
I could tell you how to not pay postage on letters but....

Work is a noun not a verb....it is a place you go not something you do....used to here that frequently in the USPS. Then there was the one that lots of folks fall under.....I have a vivid imagination......I imagine myself working hard....

Just to follow up some:

I took the package I need to ship to the PO today. Naturally, the buyer needs to know how much shipping is going to be in order to pay me. I handed the package to the clerk and gave him the buyer's zip code. Immediately, the clerks say that he has to have the full address. I told him that all I need is an estimate. Nope, he can't do that. Things changed after Jan 1st. So, I tell him - just put in 100 Main Street. Nope, can't do that either - has to be a valid address.
I ask the clerk if he can give me a ballpark figure. Nope. Tells me it costs $6 to send a one pound package to Knoxville (20 miles away), $8 to send it to California.
So, I just told the buyer $30 to ship. If it's less, I'll refund the money. If it's more, I'll pay the extra.
Hopefully, I can get the package shipped on the third trip to the PO. BTW, I'm out in the country, the PO is not just around the corner.
Leanna says she lives in BFE. That means I live in East BFE!

You are making this a bigger deal then it is , you can sign up at the USPS site in just about 10 min . Fill in the blanks , buy the postage you want, print it out on plain paper , tape it to the box , leave it for the mailman ( just like a letter) at your house (You said you were out in the country , does USPS stop at your house ?) , or give it to a mailman , or drop it off at the post office ( you don't have to wait inline) . Give me a call and I will walk you through it if you want . I have made 1000's of labels at the house , really a time saver , now you can even ship out of the country from your house ( you used to have to go the post office) .

Thanks,

Steve
510-301-1084

Thanks, Steve. Problem is, right now I don't own a printer. I really haven't had a need for one for years. I don't really anticipate mailing any number of packages that would justify buying the printer.
So far, you have given the best description of the process of creating the account, printing a label and shipping.
I can't even see my mailbox from my house (chuckle). Believe me, you don't leave a package at the mailbox. I don't even put my bills with checks there. Don't know about where you live, but there is a hell of a bunch of meth heads and pill heads in my area.
Again, thanks for the reply.

-
Back