"V" GROOVE OR "SOFT" COMBUSTION CHAMBERS!

-
Matter of fact after watching that part where he was showing the clean part of the pistons by the dome, last time my engine failed we saw that.
But really thought it was a contact mark.

Matter of fact after watching that part where he was showing the clean part of the pistons by the dome, last time my engine failed we saw that.
But really thought it was a contact mark.
He goes into that here:

Didn't watch the video. Are they like the Singh groove of a few years back?

Didn't watch the video. Are they like the Singh groove of a few years back?

If it’s not the same thing it’s really close to the Singh grooves.

Not going to even bother with the grooves and all that but I think more and more NA guys are going with a soft chamber.

I'd like him to put that all in writing. lol
I'll buy the book

I did soften my chambers, not exactly how he did it but I scibed the chambers, blended to a soft rolled edge and even relieved the bores a bit.

If it’s not the same thing it’s really close to the Singh grooves.

Not going to even bother with the grooves and all that but I think more and more NA guys are going with a soft chamber.
NA, Aren't soft chambers mainly beneficial on heads with too much quench area, like heads with step valve angles?

NA, Aren't soft chambers mainly beneficial on heads with too much quench area, like heads with step valve angles?

NA you want to do everything you can to speed up the burn rate but I’ve found you can soften the chambers a bit, not lose any power and open up the tune up window a bit. A softer chamber (not as much as you’d do for power adder stuff) makes it so you don’t have a 1 or 2 degree timing spot.

Power adder stuff wants no quench and super soft chambers because you want to slow the burn rate down.

NA you want to do everything you can to speed up the burn rate but I’ve found you can soften the chambers a bit, not lose any power and open up the tune up window a bit. A softer chamber (not as much as you’d do for power adder stuff) makes it so you don’t have a 1 or 2 degree timing spot.

Power adder stuff wants no quench and super soft chambers because you want to slow the burn rate down.
What head or heads have you tested this on? As far as combustion chamber shape or specific head, piston shape (dome?) compression ratio and how much piston to quench pad clearance. Also how and where did you soften the chamber? What timing number and at what rpm did you end up with? Do you have any pictures? Thank you.

-
Back