V8 in a 63 Dart GT ??

-

Tincup

Reaction score
Has anyone out there put a V8 into a 63 GT? Apparently I didn't do enough homework before purchasing my 63. I didn't realize that this was a problem. Any help or pic's would be much appreciated..

Main problem is there's no recess in the firewall for the distributor.

I have a 63 i have seen a couple done if you take the area that holds the Wiper motor recess it and You can use a V8 I am doing a slant with a power adder. when we get the car off the rotisserie

used to be if you beat a big dent in the firewall and removed the windshield wiper motor it would fit. in 1964 they changed a few things. if you went with a crank triger I'm not sure if you would have trouble. I would consider patching in part of the firewall from a later car. I have a wrecked 1966 Barracuda here that might have possibilities.

I'm thinking along the line of a 5.7 or 6.1 Hemi.

you may have trouble with the shock towers, I've seen one in a '67 type Dart but they're wider.8)

If I remember right, I think the 66 on up are 3 inches wider in the engine bay. The early A's make for a challenge on clearing exhaust and steering. I keep mulling the idea over but for now I will keep my /6 as it runs fine now. There a lot of members that have stuffed big engines in there so it can be done.

if you put a big block in it you dont have to worry about the dist. the only problem with a big block is getting an exhaust system cramed in there. oh and everything on the darts and valiants are undersized, so you would want to upgrade brakes, suspension, rearend, transmission. basically everything! good luck.

I have a 66, they're same as 63 as far as width goes, the change was in 67.

Thanks for correcting that. I wasn't quite sure when the change was.

i never thought about the 63 firewall being a problem until this thread. has anyone here put a v8 in a 63 valiant. i have seen some pictures of them on the web. maybe we can find out what other people have done.

LOL! Yep you got it, don't use a dizzy and you'll have no problem.

You beat me to it... :)

(Currently thinking about whether to replace the distributor on his slant six with a freeze plug or a cam angle sensor...)

I've got a 63 dart with a magnum headed 360 la engine. Everyone is right. Almost everything needs to be changed to make it right. As far as the firewall.....I just had to reshape it a little with a BFH. Just make sure you remove the wiper motor first. I tried beating on the firewall with the wiper motor in and snapped all three of the mounting legs. I got a new wiper motor and the wipers still work even aftr the reshaping. If you need any help at all I would be more than happy to help. I was just like you, I bought my 63 with no understanding of the hurdles to get a v-8 in it. About 1 year and tons of questions on this board got it done:) Good luck.

I almost forgot.....you will need some extra cash too:)

Do you have any pictures of your modified firewall? I assume the wiper motor can be put back in after the work and you still have functional wipers.

Thanks for the help (everyone) as usual, a little creativity and cash can solve any problem. And the help of great guy's like you.....

I've got a 63 dart with a magnum headed 360 la engine. Everyone is right. Almost everything needs to be changed to make it right. As far as the firewall.....I just had to reshape it a little with a BFH. Just make sure you remove the wiper motor first. I tried beating on the firewall with the wiper motor in and snapped all three of the mounting legs. I got a new wiper motor and the wipers still work even aftr the reshaping. If you need any help at all I would be more than happy to help. I was just like you, I bought my 63 with no understanding of the hurdles to get a v-8 in it. About 1 year and tons of questions on this board got it done:) Good luck.

I almost forgot.....you will need some extra cash too:)

Hey, anyone know where I can get a rear window seal? Apparently 63 is all by itself and I cant seem to find one anywhere.

I spaced my engine forward 3/4" and made a new trans crossmember. I have around 1/8" clearance between the firewall and the distributor.

I think you'll find that the '63 had smaller ends on the center link. If you need a drop centerlink to fit your '63 V8 setup, I don't think that a '64-'66 V8 link will be a bolt in. I have an early (small ends) centerlink that was modified way back in the day for a 273 swap. If you're interested, PM me.

63-66 v-8 centerlinks are are all the same, once you go to 67 they are different.. Tin I will try to get some pics up later. It's really not very noticable with paint. Best way is just beat it a little and keep checking where it needs some more.

Just checked. It is '60-'62 Valiant and Lancer models that have the small ends. Different part number for the center link, pitman arm, and idler arm than 63-66.

Thanks Dartman, would love to see em...

63-66 v-8 centerlinks are are all the same, once you go to 67 they are different.. Tin I will try to get some pics up later. It's really not very noticable with paint. Best way is just beat it a little and keep checking where it needs some more.

-
Back