V8 swap and Hooker headers

-

l6hmus

Reaction score
Hi,

I did a slant6 to 318 swap on my 69 Valiant using schumacher creative services kit.

I also installed Hooker headers (http://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/hok-5901hkr/overview/make/plymouth/model/valiant).
After lowering the engine, installing the 4 speed and steering linkage it seems that the inner tie rod end and centersteering linkage are to close to the header on the passager side.

Also it touches (or is very close to) the torsion bar.

Is this normal the using the SCS kit you can't use any header set ?

I was thinking of buing new ones ant this time short headers ?

Chris.

I used to run hooker super comp 5116 headers on the street. They hung too low and got crushed going over speed bumps and curbs. I went back to exhaust manifolds....

I left my mounts loose at the frame until after I got the headers on and positioned right to give me clearance on everything.

lifted and pried the engine back and forth to get the fit I wanted then tightened up the big nuts from the bottom

I've got Schumacher mounts and Hooker Competition headers on my Dart and there isn't much room at all with the steering linkage and tie rod ends but mine don't rub at all. It's just close. I also haven't had problems with ground clearance for the most part, just every once and a while they'll drag on something. But I'm more worried about damaging my cutouts than the headers.. The Super comps also hang lower than the Competition headers if I remember right.

I agree with GEO, leave the mounts loose and position everything to give you more clearance before you tighten em down.

Yes of course the mounst give me some room to twist the engine, why didn't I think of that.

Next weekend if I'll go to the garage I'll try to lower the passanger side.
I fited and refited the headers 100 times and it always fited differently and I didn't figure this out.

Thank you BlueDream and GEO

Kristjan.

-
Back